1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Should I trade my PS2 for an X-Box?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PatB, May 28, 2003.

Tags:
  1. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

I can get a second hand x-box for a pretty cheap price if I trade in my P2s, and I'm wondering if I should do it. I really like Splinter Cell type games and I know it's better on the X-box. I don't know what the forecast for upcoming games is like but does anyone know if it favors sony or MS, that might help me make a decision?

2. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

No, imo you shouldn't ever trade in a current system for another one:
    something on ps2 will come up(for ex. silent hill 3), and you'll be like what was i thinking.
    ps2 has a very diverse and expansive lineup, i don't think xbox's quite matches up to it. The differences on multi games aren't too big either most of the time.

i think xbox is a very good complement to ps2. amd well worth it on it's own, and I think you'd be happier maybe selling a couple of ps2 games you don't play to get the xbox

3. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

Save up to get an Xbox and keep the PS2.

4. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

But doesn't it seem that:
    1) there are few games that come to PS2 but not to X-box?
    2) When a game comes to both it's better on the X-box?

5. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

Sounds like you've already made up your mind. There are plenty of exclusives for all three systems that make each worth owning. Some games are best on whatever system they originated (NFS:HP2 on PS2), other games get tweaked and improved when ported (Dead to Rights on GC). Games will most likely look best on the Xbox, but a game like NBA Street 2 has a better control scheme with the PS2 controller. Find a list of upcoming games and compare the Xbox and PS2 titles. Whichever list most impresses you is the console to have.

6. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Good suggestion, I should do that with the existing games too. Any idea where I can find a comparison of upcoming games.

7. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

Go to ebgames.com and you can look up a "Coming Soon" list and sort it by platform.

8. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, I'll do that. I haven't quite 'decided' it, I just suppose I'm leaning towards it because it just seems more impressive as a system at this point. And the Ps2 Wolfenstein reviews didn't help either.

9. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

XBOX is definitely more impressive as a system. It all comes down to the games. As an XBOX owner, I love my hulking black slab of goodness and really enjoy a lot of the games. However, there are a bunch of games for the PS2 that are sadly absent from the XBOX lineup, namely RPGs. For that reason alone, I'd purchase a PS2 if I had the extra cash. If you like games like SPLINTER CELL, then the XBOX is the way to go. XBOX versions of multi-platform titles blow away competing versions almost all the time. There are a few exceptions like the EA Sports titles, since EA refuses to support XBOX Live. Otherwise, XBOX typically wins, hands down.

10. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

IMO, you shouldn't trade in your PS2 because the PS2 has lots of games. What you should do is save up money then buy an XBOX. If you trade in your PS2, you might regret it in the future because there are a good amount of games which are coming to the PS2.

11. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

I own both. If you can ONLY OWN ONE, ditch the PS2!

My xbox gets 10 times the play my PS2 does. 5.1 in-game surround, quick load times, custom soundtracks, etc.

My PS2 is only in the house because of Kingdom Hearts, and will most likely be sold off once my wife and I finish that game.

12. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

For the record, GC dead to rights is the least good version.

13. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

14. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Keep the PS2, since it has the most games. As many people have said already, if you want an Xbox, save up and get it.

15. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

See, I like the 'maddening' difficulty, and I prefer the better graphics/sound.

Really, it's actually not that hard. The hardest part of the game is the fight with the mayor, and it took me a little bit to figure out the easy way to beat him. Falling in the sewer is annoying though, and the clown graveyard level can be kind of hard. Also, you have to be on the lookout for powerups.

I always wondered that the reputation it earned for being maddeningly difficult from people who gave up too soon or didn't 'get' how to play it.

I think the control is fine on both.

16. JayF

JayF Stunt Coordinator

I have both but I honestly cannot remember when I last played anything on my PS2. If you can live without the PS2 exclusives, then I'd say sell the PS2 and get an X-Box. The in-game DD5.1 is worth it alone.

17. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I will add my two cents: I have two friends who own both systems, both were avid PS2 fans and were very nervous about purchasing an Xbox. Fast forward a few months: both of them rarely use their PS2. Every time a multi-platform game comes out they always pick up the Xbox version. I even considered picking up a PS2 but borrowed one of them instead. After playing a few games over a weekend, I now know why I stick with the Xbox. The PS2 is a good machine, however, it doesn't hold a candle to my Xbox. I realize that it's only my opinion, but that's my two cents!

18. Tho

Tho Auditioning

i got my xbox used for 120 and i added a few "things" to it, the best thing i ever spent my money on .. ultimate gaming and entertainment system [​IMG]

the only thing Id want PS2 for would be GT4 but that I can live without. like someone mention, it all comes down to what games you're gonna play. xbox is definitely worth it though, thers alot of new games coming out soon.

19. Nate Wh

Nate Wh Agent

I was a hardcore Ps/Ps2 fan until i saw Halo @ 480p resolution on my Infocus X1 last week..

I can't get anywhere NEAR as good of picture out of my Ps2 that i can now with my Xbox.. And then the immaculate Dolby Digital sound was just an added bonus.!

If you look in hardware you'll see my Ps2 package for sale now [​IMG]

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=148238

20. Oscar Saenz

Oscar Saenz Stunt Coordinator

As an owner of a PS2, Xbox, GCN and Dreamcast, I would say sell your PS2 for the Xbox. I'm basing my recommendation solely on the amount of game play each of my consoles receive. My console usage is in this order:

1. Xbox
    2. GCN (only for PSO)
    3. Dreamcast (if it wasn't for PSO the DC would be 2nd)
    4. PS2

Most number of games available for a particular console does not = best console, IMHO. Furthermore, largest installed based of any next gen console also does not = best console, IMHO.