Should I stick with B&W?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by george.Legeza, Dec 28, 2002.

1. george.Legeza

george.Legeza Stunt Coordinator

Well, it looks like I may be coming into a bit of money soon so I'm really interested in "finishing" (for a while, anyway) my budget HT system. Since I've already decided on the receiver and subwoofer I'll eventually be upgrading to the only thing left to do is decide whether to replace my B&W DM303s (currently being used as my mains) with a higher-end speaker from B&W. I'm looking in the $600/pair (so still relatively low-end) range so the B&W DM602 S3s were what I was originally planning on. I'd like to audition some other speakers in that range, but my local audio shop really pushes for B&W and doesn't have much of a selection when it comes to anything else. I'm very happy with the DM303s, but that doesn't mean I'm not willing to try some other brands.
    Anyway, I just recently found a much larger hifi/audio shop, but it's about an hour and a half away. If I'm going to drive that far I'd like to go with a few brands in mind, so other than the B&W DM602s what should I be looking in that price range? Keep in mind this is mostly for a strictly movie system since I'm working on a seperate stereo setup for music. Thanks a lot. [​IMG]

2. Peter_James

Peter_James Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I used to own the 602 s2 speakers. They were very nice. However, if I was to spend $600 on some front speakers, Im not sure if I would go back to B&W. For music, they are incredible! I didn't however think that they were the best for HT. I know that if I had some larger B&W's that might have changed my mind...but honestly, It is my opinion that for HT, you can get a speaker that sounds as good for less, as they are a bit overpriced for HT lovers. Music as I said is a different story. Take a look at Definitive Technology. I was considering those and demoed them, they were great for HT. B&W's just don't seem to have that PUNCH that I like when watching a movie, they are more restrained.

With that said, I do still miss my B&W's - They treated me pretty well.

P.J.