What's new

Should I start buying UHD, even though I'm Blu-ray right now? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm doing a major home theater upgrade to an HD front projector setup. So I'm buying movies on blu-rays for the first time in several years. I intend to upgrade to 4k in three years when projectors are affordable.

Should I be buying UHD now rather than blu-ray? Do all UHD discs come with blu-ray discs too? Are the blu-rays included full featured, equal to buying a blu-ray-only release?

Or, should I save some money, buy cheaper blu-rays today and worry about UHD in a few years when I upgrade.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I do. I own 3 titles and don't own a player or monitor... yet...

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I'm holding off. They'll only get cheaper (inflation adjusted).

Just to play devil's advocate though - even if they do get cheaper - if you buy the blu now then repurchased the same title down the road in 4K - wouldn't you have better off just getting the 4K from the start?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Since it's definitely in your plans to upgrade eventually, then of course you should be buying UHD now. You'll only regret all the money you wasted on Blu-rays that you will have to double dip with on UHD. I constantly kick myself for all the years (and money) I wasted buying DVDs because I foolishly thought "Oh 'such-and-such title' will never get released on Blu-ray, so I might as well buy the DVD."
That's my advice to you, however as for myself, I have no intention of upgrading to UHD as Blu-ray is my final format, so I won't even take the advice I'm giving you. :unsure:

And yes, thus far all 4K releases come with a compatible Blu-ray and I believe all the special features are on the Blu-ray disc itself. The only exception is 3D, as 4K packages almost never include the 3D version.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I own two UHD titles and don't own a UHD Blu-ray player yet. I do own a 4K UHD TV (75") so I will eventually get the UHD Blu-ray player. Most definitely the Panasonic, but probably not until next year sometime.

Mark

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I almost bought my second UHD disc with Batman v Superman until I found out that the included bluray was theatrical cut only. So now I'll be double dipping on that title whenever I get a player. But I think that's a rare instance and would get the UHD package if it's a movie you really want.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Just to play devil's advocate though - even if they do get cheaper - if you buy the blu now then repurchased the same title down the road in 4K - wouldn't you have better off just getting the 4K from the start?

I don't really "collect" movies. I buy them to watch them. So it's not necessarily a given that any movie I buy now will definitely get upgraded down the road.

I'm probably 3-4 years from upgrading projectors. A lot could change between now and then. I might buy a UHD disk now if it's just a really great deal, but I'm not stockpiling them, that's for sure.

When I have a UHD player, I'll be excited enough to buy 20-30 movies to watch on it, and then I'll gradually make a case-by-case decision if they come out with new transfers that are well-reviewed.

I think a lot of us (myself included) need to resist the urge to acquire, to stockpile, to somehow stave off the Apocalypse by making sure we have 1,000 movies to watch in physical media. They'll be there 20 years from now in some form. No need to get ahead of the curve. I think we work out some issues we have with our own mortality by acquiring physical media to have a collection that is perfect. I try to remember that my wife will just be having to get rid of all these things when I'm gone.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
The other thing is I'm not heavy on new releases, and those are the ones that are tending to be UHD for the time being. I probably only buy 4 to 5 new releases each year, compared to maybe 60-70 catalog titles.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Did a quick search of "UHD" on Amazon. Fortunately, there are only two movies I'm interested in. One I already bought on blu-ray, Mad Max Fury Road. I think that was $40 vs $25 when I purchased it this Spring, so that was the right decision. And Deadpool is $25 vs $20, so I can buy that on UHD.

The catalog titles I'm re-buying on blu-ray like Amelie and Crouching Tiger don't have UHD releases, so no "future-proof" purchase option yet.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Did a quick search of "UHD" on Amazon. Fortunately, there are only two movies I'm interested in. One I already bought on blu-ray, Mad Max Fury Road. I think that was $40 vs $25 when I purchased it this Spring, so that was the right decision. And Deadpool is $25 vs $20, so I can buy that on UHD.

The catalog titles I'm re-buying on blu-ray like Amelie and Crouching Tiger don't have UHD releases, so no "future-proof" purchase option yet.

But the blu-ray for Mad Max is $9.99 now. I'm a price shopper for most movies. And they're not tending to bargain-cut the UHD's. So the incremental cost of future-proofing (on a large scale basis) is pretty big. Getting an affordable blu-ray leaves a lot of dollars left over to selectively purchase UHD's when I can actually play them.

I think the streaming/digital movement should teach us something -- it's not that physical media is dead, or is a thing of the past. It will endure. But I think us physical media types should view movies as more disposable viewing copies at the time of purchase (bought with only a 7-8 year timeframe in mind).

The key threshold to me is when I have the ability to play UHD because it's become affordable to have the projector.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
A local used DVD store already has used UHD discs, you can always check that avenue as well.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Considering the bulk of what Hollywood produces these days isn't 4K anyway its really your choice as to whether or not you feel your blu-ray player can upconvert better than what a major studio can.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It pays to read reviews when it comes to UHD. My son bought me Deadpool on UHD as a birthday present because (a) the price difference was about $5; and (b) the UHD has received stellar reviews for its use of HDR and being finished in 4K. I would say that, at this point, be judicious in purchasing UHD. Seek out the discs that interest you and are "killer apps", if you will. Otherwise, buy BD.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
"Should I start buying UHD, even though I'm Blu-ray Now?"
A worthy topic, for sure, but the very title of this thread kinda harkens to a similar question, which goes...
"Should I begin the process of moving in with my mistress, even though I'm still married, right now?":lol:
[Sorry, I couldn't resist.]:D

Last edited:

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Considering the bulk of what Hollywood produces these days isn't 4K anyway its really your choice as to whether or not you feel your blu-ray player can upconvert better than what a major studio can.
If the studio upconverts they don't upconvert a BD. There is a visible difference between 1080p4:2:0 8 bit versus 2K4:4:4 10 bit.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
To drop a word in here regarding price - the 3 UHD titles I bought were $18ea through a FoxConnect sale. Deals CAN be had for UHD and it pays to keep your eyes open...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks