What's new

should I spend the extra cash for the Sony 999es or get the Philips 963sa (1 Viewer)

Lam Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Is the extra cash worth dishing out for the sony 999es? I was really thinking of getting a 963sa. Both player offer all the features I want, the Philips has the Farouja chip and upsampling but does it cd playback sound as good as the sony? CD playback is most important to me. Also, does the sony have the chroma bug? Any comments welcome. Thanks.

Jeff Weight

Stunt Coordinator
I'll let you know in a few days when my 963 arrives. Until then, search the net. I have read nothing but praise for the 963 redbook CD audio.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lam,

Excellent question. I wonder about this myself. The '963SA looks awfully good on paper, and I seriously question whether the 'NS999ES is worth double the price of the '963SA. I would be curious about how the two machines compare on the video side, especially given the presence of the Faroudja chip in the '963SA. A comparison of CD playback would also be interesting. On the one hand, Sony has done a good job making its ES SACD player very capable with CDs. On the other hand, the '963SA upsamples.

If you do compare the two players, please do post your thoughts.

Jeff,

Do you already have an 'NS999ES for comparison to the '963SA?

Lam Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
donnie,
thanks for the link.

Keith,
That's one big collection of components you have.
I see you've got the 333es,555es,and 777es. How does the 555es compare to the other two and where can I get one of these rare unit? The 555es is probaly a better redbook cd player than the 999es anyways. Do you think?

Jeff,
Let me know what you think when you do get your player, a comparison with another cd player is even better.

Jeff Weight

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have the NS999ES, but my friend does. After my unit is burned in and ready, I'll hook up with him and do a comparison of the two.

Personally I couldn't justify the price of the Sony once the Philips came out.

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
The 333ES, 555ES and the 777ES should be superior the NS999ES. Sony's latest flagship the 999 was really more geared to excel in SACD rather than redbook, though it does a bang up job.

Bob Saylor

Stunt Coordinator
The 999 is an excellent audio player, period. I haven't heard the 9000 but every review I've read says the 999 is better. How this compares to the 333, 555 and 777 I don't know but I bet it's competive.

Lam Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Bob, Ive read more than one review that has the 9000 outperforming the 999es in cd playback due to the 9000 better build quality. I m sure the cd playback of the 999es is great, but really the sound is depending on preference of the individual and that's why we have different opinion in reviews. I m sure these two players are pretty close in term of audio.

Bob Saylor

Stunt Coordinator
Lam, I'm not sure what better build quality would have to do with how the unit sounds. Maybe lower vibration do to a heavier box or something? In reality, it's what's inside that counts. Audiowise, I haven't read too many bad things about either player.

Your absolutly right when you mention about individual tastes. Both players do a very good job.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
For what it's worth, in the latest issue of The Absolute Sound, Shane Buettner says that the 999ES is only slightly inferior to the 9000ES in terms of audio performance. I believe that the 999ES made the Recommended Sources list in the same issue, for the $1000-$2000 price range.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lam, thanks. I have a 'C555ES in my better system, along with the '777ES. A second 'C555ES is in my second, less revealing system, along with the 'C333ES. The 'C555ES is a highly capable CD and SACD player, but it is not as good as the '777ES. That shouldn't surprise you. Now, I've only been able to compare the 'C333ES and 'C555ES in my second system, which as I said, is not as revealing as my main system. Nevertheless, I feel the 'C555ES has the edge with both CDs and SACDs. I believe Sony used a better DAC in the 'C555ES than the 'C333ES. There may be other differences under the hood as well. In the end, all three are great players.

You won't find a new '777ES or 'C333ES these days, as they were discontinued a long time ago. Finding a new 'C555ES is tough these days, though you may be able to track one down through a local dealer. On the used market (Audiogon, eBay, etc.), you should be able to find all three players.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Keith,

I'm adding a 777ES to my system! Found one used and it will hopefully arrive by the weekend. I'm going to do a close comparison between it and my Anker-modified SCD-CE775 over the coming weeks. If anyone is interested, I'll post results here.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eujin, great! Please do post your thoughts. I know that Matthew Anker has made some major changes to the 'CE775, but the '777ES is a great player in stock form.

Lam Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Eujin, Please do post the results.

With Sony releasing new players, I m hesitant to get the 999es or the 555es, does anynody know if they will release a cd/sacd machine to replace the 555es? I really don't want to buy the 555es and have sony release a replacement for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks