1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Directors Should I see The Manchurian Candidate, AVP or The Notebook tonight?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Brook K, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I have a free soda coupon for AMC Theaters that expires in the next two days so I need to go to a movie. (Because it makes logical sense to spend $8 so I can get a free soda [​IMG]) My wife wants to see Collateral so that isn't an option. I'm just going to rent the various Summer comedies when they hit DVD so my options are:

a. The Manchurian Candidate (Quality-wise maybe the best option?)

b. AVP (Probably the one that would be enhanced the most by watching on big screen?)

c. The Notebook (sounded good but no real urgent need to see it now as opposed to waiting for DVD)

My viewing fate is in your hands....

2. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

None have opened here yet but I would go see The Manchurian Candidate. AvP, Paul Anderson has yet to make a good film and judging by reviews and comments by friends it holds true to Anderson's streak. As for The Notebook, I think i'll just wait for the DVD.

3. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

The Notebook is quite good, and it's also something your wife will probably like....and Gena Rowlands is in it [​IMG]

The Manchurian Candidate remake is ok, but if you've seen the better original, this just comes off as a compentent but predictable rehash with a few minor changes.

I haven't seen AVP yet...but it doesn't look too good.

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

You could just be nice to your wife and let her watch what she wants. [​IMG]

5. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Sorry I didn't make that clear George, I was going stag (does anyone still use that word?). I wasn't listing Collateral as an option because she wants to see it, ergo, I'll wait and see it with her.

Manchurian Candidate ended up the choice by start time as much as anything. It was the movie closest to starting when I got to the theater. I was somewhat disturbed by a 50ish looking man who was going to see The Princess 2 by himself, but then I figured Bill was probably doing the same and making it a double feature with Black Book or Yu-Gi-Oh The Movie [​IMG]

I do completely agree with your assessment of the movie, Bill. I was into it at first but got more bored as it went along especially when I began to consider that I spent $8.50 just to get a "free" small Mr. Pibb. IDIOT [Napoleon Dynamite voice]

This weekend is going to be an actual tough moviegoing decision since 3 movies I've been waiting to see are opening in the same weekend - Zatoichi, Code 46, & She Hate Me plus I still need to see Open Water.

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I figured she'd jump at the chance to share that free drink with you. [​IMG]

7. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

I almost went to see Yu-Gi-Oh last Friday, but the large line-up of screaming kids made me change my mind.

Both Open Water & Code 46 look interesting, She Hate Me is looking to be Spike's worst film based on what I've read and I have Zatoichi on DVD.

I don't believe any of these 4 film will be opening locally, so I might just see Yu-Gi-Oh yet. [​IMG]

8. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I agree the premise of She Hate Me sounds shakey but it's Spike - I'm gonna see it. Besides, the critics generally aren't kind to him regardless. Nobody I read recognized what an exceptional film 25th Hour was.