What's new

Should I see Lazio or AS Roma? (1 Viewer)

Jason L.

Second Unit
I am a yank going to Rome on Feb 16-27 and would like to see a football match. I am definitely not looking for any sort of trouble with rowdy fans. My only reference is an Arsenal vs. Deportivo UEFA Cup match I saw in London.

I've heard that Lazio has a bit rougher crowd than Roma.

My questions are:

1. Which team should I go see? Money is not an issue.

2. Are they going to be at home during Feb 16-27? I can't read the AS roma site. [L=null]http://www.asroma.it/SerieA.aspx[/L]

3. Are tickets easy to get [outside of big matches like Juventus, AC Milan, Inter] and where can I get them at?

Thanks.

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

Sun Feb 22 2004

Roma v Siena 14:00

Only Roma have a home game in the period you are there. They are currently 2nd in the league and Siena are eleventh.

Have fun

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I think Jonathan's post answers the question from a practical point of view, but notwithstanding that, on current form Roma would be a better bet anyway, if you want to watch an entertaining match -- Lazio are struggling.

Arsenal v. Deportivo, eh? That glorious 5-1 drubbing :D

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think getting tickets will be much of a problem. Roma have only been getting 45,000 - 50,000 for their recent home games and the stadium holds about 80,000.

You could probably just buy tickets on the match day from the stadium. But seeing as you are getting there on 16th you'll have plenty of time to get them.

Jason L.

Second Unit
Yee-Ming,

It's funny that you remember that 5-1 drubbing because I sure do.

Back in the Spring of 2000, I was your typical soccer-hating American like everyone else. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy playing it as a kid [most American kids do play soccer at some point].

However, to watch soccer on TV was brutal. The endless boredom of a 0-0 draw. The inexplicable behavior of players, when barely touched, fall to the ground in agony as if a sniper had just taken them out. After a few minutes, a stretcher would come out and suddenly - - the player would jump back up as if nothing had happen.

But everyone said you need to go watch a match in England, so I did. Outside the Tower of London was a ticket broker and a sign read:

Arsenal vs. Deportivo La Coruna - 25 pounds.

I had no idea what the hell Arsenal was, and I didn't understand why there were playing a team with a Spanish name. However, you could take the Tube there so I decided to go.

Well, you know the rest. Arsenal handed out an ass whoopin'. Thierry Henry I believe had a hat trick, and celebrated a goal about 10 feet away from me near the corner. The crowd was electric and I was know a soccer fan - albeit a bandwagon-jumping soccer fan.

The difference between watching a U.S. World Cup Qualifier and Arsenal [or another world-class team] is like the difference between the WNBA and the 1980's L.A. Lakers. I am glad the the Premiership is NOT full of divers and cheats like the Latin/South American players.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

Thank god I didn't go see West Ham, Charlton, or [gasp!] Spurs!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Much as long-suffering fans (Arsenal were miserable in the early and mid-80s) often deride band-wagon jumpers, hey, if you're gonna pledge allegience to the Gunners, allow me to welcome you with open arms! And if you want more info as to links etc, PM me.

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
So have you decided on anything yet?

To bad you weren't in Rome last weekend.. Roma-Juventus 4-0, excellent game.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Europe!

Jason L.

Second Unit
Well, I am going to see AS Roma [by default] if my schedule allows.

I leave tomorrow for a well deserved break. I haven't been outside the Middle East in 13 months.

I'll let everyone know how it went.

Hopefully, The Return Of The King will be playing there as well! It will be my only chance to see it on the big screen.

Ciao!

Jason L.

Second Unit
I'm not sure how you say "Ass Whooping" in Italian, but Roma sure laid one on Siena 6-0 !!!

Siena played no defense at all. Even when Roma went down a man, they still couldn't do anything.

Nice atmosphere - a lot of singing and chanting. The Olympic Stadium holds 80,000 and there were probably 50,000+ there. Paid 45 euro for the ticket. The physical seats there suck, though. Old, tiny seats, covered with grime. Waaay too small for the U.S.

I'll try and post some pics when I get back.

I totally lucked out by getting to see The Lord of the Rings in English !!! Very tiny theater, though. I don't know what it is about seats in Italy. I had my knees jammed into the seat in front of me for 3+ hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks