Should I Run Video Through The Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JessePr, Feb 24, 2003.

1. JessePr

JessePr Auditioning

My question is about routing the video signal. Right now I have digital cable, progressive scan DVD, and a VCR. I'm currently shopping for a receiver, and then in a few months I will be upgrading to a 57" HDTV. My question is how should I route the video signal, should I run everything through the receiver and let it handel the switching or can you feed the video straight to the TV and just run your audio to the receiver.

Thanks

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

Its alot more convenient to route through the reciever, and you're not going to notice any loss in quality in doing so, that way you're using the TV as a monitor instead of having to choose what video in you're using etc, the reciever just does it all for you. This is how I and most people on here have there systems setup and I've never heard a complaint about it.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I would do it for convenience(easy for kids & spouse to use)or if my TV didn't have enough inputs(probably not an issue if you buy a new HDTV), otherwise I would prefer to have the most direct connections.

DJ

4. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

I connect DVD video straight to the TV. If you go through the receiver that is just one more set of connections that could erode the signal. Same with Direct TV. Only audio goes to the "system".

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Here are the rules:

Rule 1: Most receivers will NOT convert one connection type to another.

Rule 2: Only run video through the receiver if you have 2 or more of the SAME TYPE of signal.

Rule 3: Just because the receiver has COMPONENT video jacks does not mean it was designed to handle High Def video. Check the fine-print before you buy.

I often recommend doing a hybred type of hookup:
    • Run SVideo from everything through the receiver. You can buy a $20 part from Radio Shack to convert the VCR output to SVideo. (It's called a 'Composite to SVideo adaptor'). This Family Mode makes the system easy to use because the TV stays fixed on whatever the receiver sends it. All the switching (audio & video) is done through the receiver).
    • Run the high-quality sources (Progressive DVD, HD Decoder box's) straight to the TV. It takes some extra switching, but when you sit down for serious TV/DVD watching, flip to the direct feed.

Hope this helps.

6. JessePr

JessePr Auditioning

Thanks for the input. I want to keep everything simple enough that my wife and kids can operate it but if I'm going to spend the money on the HDTV and progressive scan DVD I want to get the most out of it.

7. Jeramy_K

Jeramy_K Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Bob's post. And I'd also like to add that a receiver with assignable outputs will make your life easier. Once you have it preconfigured it'll be easier for your wife or kids to operate. In fact, with a good remote you can really tweak operations down to a single push of a button.

8. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

9. Russell Chase

Russell Chase Auditioning

I find it easier for the wife and kids to run everything to the TV. My TV's remote and front controls are easier to figure out than the receiver's or most other universal remotes.

Using the receiver as a video switcher requires one more device to turn on and configure - yes a good macro remote could deal with this but only if everything is either on or off.

If they or I don't want to worry about "good" sound I can just listen through the TV speakers without firing up the receiver.

The receiver "receives" digital out from the DVD and analog out from the TV.