1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I run 2 Subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Stierman, Jul 23, 2002.

1. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

My sony 845 reciver has twin subwoofer outputs. Should i run 2 subs? Anyone here running 2 subs, and does it make that big of a differnce? The sub i am running is a Jamo E8Sub and would simply add on of the same.
    http://www.jamo.com/consumer/product...tab=3&subtab=1

2. Binh Vu

Binh Vu Stunt Coordinator

If you feel the bass respond doesn't good enough, add it. If your system already have a perfect sound, why you need more bass.

3. James Stierman

I don't really need it....but i love bass!!! I currently have a sub with a 10" drive and 200 watts which is great, but i figure why not utalize the other sub out, it can only get better. I am in a room about 13x13 but it opens to the 2nd floor so it has like a 20 foot ceiling.

4. Mike boettner

Mike boettner Stunt Coordinator

my DSP-A1 has 3 preouts for subs, i'm using the stereo sub outputs going to a 12" and a 15" sub. There is no such thing as too much bass. If I remember correctly added a second subwoofer will increase the output by 3 db's(I might be wrong) but I can tell a big difference if I only run one sub.
    Mike

5. Binh Vu

Binh Vu Stunt Coordinator

In fact, I just added 2nd sub just few days ago, because my 1st sub is too small. After that the bass is increase alot. I have a friend who really like the bass, he has 2 subs in front and 1 in the back. His system now the bass is too strong imo

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

What is the cost of this sub? You may be significantly better off taking the money you would spend on a second sub, adding to it what you could sell the sub you have for and then buying a higher end sub. One good sub is definately better than 2 ok subs.

Mike, if two identical powered subs couple ideally the result will be a 6dB increase. 3dB from a doubling of cone area and another 3dB from a doubling of input power.

7. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

There IS such thing as too much bass! If you can hit reference why try for more? Your just overbloating your sound, your room shouldn't be shaking when someone is speaking! I have some setups that are just bass bloated and it's bad, try to be somewhat accurate not bass heavy!

8. James Stierman

The sub retails for 799.99. It's a great sub very clean and accurate.

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you don't really need it, then I would use it as a dedicated surround sub (wire the surround speakers via that sub) rather than use the second LFE connection. There are many soundtracks that have full range sound in the surround channels.

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

$800 is way to much for that sub James. A less than 40L vented enclosure with a single 10" driver will not be very capable. Being that small and vented I wouldn't be surprised if it was tuned to almost 40hz. For $800USD you could do significantly better than a pair of those subs. I'd be willing to bet better sound, I know you could go louder and I'm certain in extension there would be absolutely no comparison.
    At the $800 price point I'd be looking at any of the SVS PCi+ series that will be shipping in the next month or two. The Adire Audio Dharman. Or I'd be looking at a Shiva, Datyon DVC12" or Datyon Titanic 12" driver used in a costum build sub (85L+ vented or 60L+ passive radiator) from either Acoustic Visions or Rutledge Audio. If you can deal with a very large enclosure then ask these last to places about a Tempest or Dayton DVC 15" based sub.
    And I'd have to disagree with Neil, I wouldn't use it in the surround channels if I had one of the subs I mentioned above, I'd just sell it.