Should I return this receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil*K, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

I have an RX-V1. The other day when I was going to listen to some cds and turn on the receiver before the cd player I thought I heard some noise so I turned the volume up all the way and could hear the tuner. Out of curiousity, I turned down the volume and selected tuner and yeah it seemed I was picking up my tuner through the cd conection. The odd thing about it was when I went back to cd and turn on the player the bleed through stopped. I changed the coax input to another connector and when I put it on cd I got the bleed through back. I then desided to listen to all inputs. The tape input was the most noticeable, the phono input just gave me noise and all of the rest of the inputs picked up my tuner at low levels. At this point I getting a little ticked because I'm think I've got a problem and really like the V1, but it weighs 62 lbs and I really don't want to exchange it. I decided to keep playing with and I noticed that when I keep hitting the input key for cd and change the mode to dts the bleed through stopped. This happened on all input that I could adjust the mode including the LD, but it stopped at both dts and RF. So it seemed that I was getting the bleed through in analog mode only. I had a extra pair of analog connects and connected to the cd player and the bleed through stopped with the player on standby and the input mode set to analog, but if I unpluged the cd player the bleed through returned. I turn on the TV and when I did this the bleed through stopped but I did get noise at high volumes.

I have two questions:

1. is this a problem with the receiver?

2. the receiver is not grounded and if I ground it will this help?

Phil

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Phil- Not desirable but before giving up on the receiver, try relocating your FM antannea. You might try disconnecting it temporarly to see if you still have the problem. If yours is like mine , it drapes down the back of the receiver which places it in close proximity to many other inputs. If moving the antannea doesn't help, well last chance, Try a different type antannea. Good Luck ,Jack

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Phil,

This bleed of FM into unused or inactive inputs has been reported before on Yamaha recievers. As you stated the bleed goes away when the selected input actually gets an active input, so it doesn't affect normal use. I had a Yamaha RXV-795 that did the same thing.
    It's a Yamaha characteristic, most of them do it and it won't get any worse with time.

If you're otherwise happy with the receiver, keep it. Just don't turn it up to high volume levels on inactive inputs.

4. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

Try sheilded rca's, if your power cords are jumbled with all your other cords, the rca's can pick up RF (radio Freq's)

5. TimGregis

TimGregis Extra

Return it! You did not buy it to have tuner bleed through. I know I did not by my Sony 5ES to have the same problem, I bought it to be void of problems like this. I returned my Sony to have it repaired and Sony service failed, sent it back in the same shape it left. Sony did come through and gave me a brand new 5ES though and it has no problem at all. Don't spend hard earned money on a product that is faulty.

6. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

Phil,

The cross-talk you've mentioned is common with Yamaha and other receivers. I had this cross-talk with my RX-V793, RX-V995, and RX-V2095. I also have it, along with low level hum, on my Pioneer Prologic receiver in my bedroom. Surprisingly, with the Denon AVR-3803 up to 0db, there is absolutely no cross-talk. It's dead silent. However, with the other receivers, once the input is terminated by having the component turned on, the cross-talk goes away. In fact there are shorting plugs for inputs when testing is done, I've been told.

In reality, it's a none issue and as soon as the input is terminated, the cross-talk goes away. The Denon must use a different type of circuit than I've found on other receivers.

Relax, kick back, and enjoy that RX-V1. [​IMG]

Take it easy.

7. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Mike, Steve and everyone who replied. That eased my mind about the cross-talk/bleed and I'm very happy not to have to lug this thing back to Tweeters and I really didn't want to part with it. Just moving it around enough to change the inputs was enough work for me, lol. Nice to hear from you again Mike. Jack, I did try moving the antanna, but it made no difference.

Cheers,

Phil

8. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

Put it this way, it's a matter of if you can deal with it or not over the next X years until you upgrade (upgraditus hits us all). Seems that you're partial to the receiver, so I say keep it.