Should I Return these DVD's?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Anthony_Kleiner, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Anthony_Kleiner

I bought Traffic and Titan A.E. a few days ago and when I opened them up both DVD's had their discs just jumping around in the box.

The some of the little black plastic things that keep the dvd disc in place had broken off and caused the dvd to become loose and now both of them have small scratches on them.

So I am thinking that I should go back and get these two replaced...

2. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

If you store the DVD's in their cases(unlike myself who stores them in albums) and especially if you notice some scratches I'd exchange them.

3. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

I would, and have in the past. Why pay for something that is not perfect. The store should not give you a problem.

4. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

If there is any sort of scratch on my DVD, any part of the case broken, or any part of the cover ruined from stickers, I take it back and open the new one in the store until I get a good copy.

5. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

My exact thoughts on matters like this. But people in the general public seem to not agree. I get confused, annoyed looks when I return DVDs for reasons like this. I think people that don't collect DVDs just don't really understand. It is like buying a brand new car with a scratch running down the side. People would never think to do that. Oh well.........in short take them back and put up with the annoyed looks.

-Eric

6. Mark Hamilton

Mark Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

You don't notice the disc is jumping around in the case prior to the purchase?

7. Greg Rakaska

Greg Rakaska Stunt Coordinator

Many times I have picked up DVD cases that "rattle" and seem like the disk is loose. I then check every one on the shelf, and they all rattle. Most of the time it turns out to be some sort of brochure, or cardboard insert of some sort.

Howvever to be safe, I usually open them right after purchase, before leaving the store, to be sure it is not the disk rattling......

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

There's no debate here. Damaged goods -> returned merchandise. You paid for pristine discs. (All discs rattle ever so slightly, but loose ones are unmistakable. Any disc with any flaw caused by a defective case should be returned. The store is obligated to honor its end of the transaction agreement.)

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Jack, how about this? Since we are not actually buying the movie, but just a single-user license, then even an old disk could be exchanged for a new one, right? [​IMG]

Glenn

10. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

When I found damaged packaging after opening (think it was a CD), Best Buy clerk tried to tell me that the case was not the 'product' and not covered under return policy...

Hopefully, they've wised up over the years.

11. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

If a damaged case causes damage to the discs, it certailnly is damaged product. I had a Revenge of the Nerds that came in a broken case where the disc was loose and even had a dent of some sort in it.

12. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    That's kind of funny that Best Buy would say that. You'd figure stores would be more like online retailers and say that if you buy a product with a defective jewel case, they'll replace the case.

13. Daniel*T

Daniel*T Auditioning

14. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

The case is definitely part of the product! A quality case and colorful slip art is one of the pluses of a good DVD release.

RD