Should I return the 3803? For the HK avr 8000?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff_coil, Dec 18, 2002.

1. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

I just recently bought the Denon 3803 and quite happy with it. However I have a chance to get the HK 8000 for the same price and can get a full refund on the Denon for the next week and a half. But I can’t audition the HK around here so it would be a blind buy. Both pieces have great features but also some concerns.
    For example in order of relevance

HK 30Mhz component switching vs 100 for the Denon
    Limiting Bass management on the Denon- not sure of the HK’s capabilities
    HK Logic 7 very cool!
    No HK up conversion vs Denon (not a real big deal but nice feature)
    HK 5 ch amp vs 7 for the Denon
    HK-Lower power (but who knows really)
    HK THX certified

It is easy to get caught up in all this just hoping I made the right choice or should I return and make a better choice?

Thanks

2. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Even though the HK has a lower 'stated' power rating, I'm sure that it will WAY out perform the 3803 in the amp section.

If it were me, it would be a no brainer....get the HK.

3. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

between those two, the HK. the 8000 is rated 110x5, it actually tested 116x5. Be prepared to buy a small parcel of land for it though, it is HUGE.

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

5. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

I would get the HK. Depending on whether or not you liked it, could you return it and re-purchase the Denon for the same price you originally bought it at with no penalty. If so, I would do this.

6. Serge Breton

Serge Breton Supporting Actor

get the H/K.

Worse case scenario several years down the road if the unit becomes outdated, you will at least have a very good 5 channel amp on your hands. I'm not a really big fan of receivers since i consider them "throw aways" when they become obsolete. I know these days, manufacturers are offering upgradeable paths to the newer receivers but in my opinion, the ability to use the avr8000 as an outboard amplifier some day at worst case scenario makes this receiver a no brainer at $1200.

7. Eric_Barkle

Eric_Barkle Extra

I would never take HK over a Denon...ask anyone (inc. me) about their horror stories with the AVR65. its the worst piece of home theatre equipment ive ever owned. [​IMG]
    the denon has going for it video upconversion, 7 channels, better DACS, more optical inputs, and component with no quality loss. plus it would make a better pre-amp than the HK imo.
    stick with the denon and add a 7 channel amp if you really need tons of power.

8. Mauricio_BR

Mauricio_BR Agent

The HK 8000 produced in Jan/2002 has a known center channel hiss issue. People that bought it at the forum promo are complaining lots about it.

Take a look at the other topic about the HK8000.

Mauricio

9. Ahmose

Ahmose Extra

Don't order it from Onecall, they seem to be dumping the buggy Jan2002 AVR8000

10. Rick_FL

11. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Rick,

In all fairness, the HK would have to be compared to the Denon 4802 or 5803 for this to be fair. The HK is a flagship I believe, the 3803 is not. My neighbor uses a 5803 so I wouldn't exactly call Denon's standards low in comparison to HK. However, in this particular case, I would take the HK over the 3803 since it is a higher level receiver.

Reg

12. Rick_FL

ReggieW: ITA with what you said.

13. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Yes, the 8000 should be compared at least to the Denon 4802. Comparing it to the 5803 might be going a little too far.

14. jeff_coil

I bet the 4802 doesn't have a hissssssssssss

15. jeff_coil

Okay here is the deal. The Avr 8000 order didn't happen, I am keepintg the 3803 great deal or not I now that I have a solid piece. And after all I will be in seprates before to long anyway!

16. Dodie

Dodie Agent

You didn't go wrong with your decision of keeping the Denon. With all the problems/bugs of the HK8000 that were brought out in this forum, I guess you made a good decision in keeping your 3803. It is really a big help having this kind of a forum where we can get feedbacks about products before we go ahead and buy.

17. jeff_coil

Last thing I would like to add. I think it is great-all the feed back. But after final thoughts and considerations I have never seen the Denon 4802 (or any Denon/until put way out to pasture) been sold from an authorized dealer at less than 50% the MSRP. And secondly such a "to be good to be true deal" i guess my dad knew what he was talking about. I'll admit I got up in the whole thing that this box was as good or comparable to the 4802- which I had my eye on.
    Not to knock the AVR 8000 hell it is great option but what I have learned in the last few days If it sounds to good to be true its probably is!

18. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

19. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

20. Eric_Barkle

Eric_Barkle Extra