What's new

Should I return my sub for an upgrade? (1 Viewer)

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
I just bought a Boston Acoustics PV500 sub a few weeks ago. I've been very satisfied with it, but now I'm thinking about returning it for an upgrade to the PV700 (or maybe even another brand). It's not that I want a more powerful sub; I just think it would be nice to have a little more bass extension (29 Hz vs. 38 Hz).

All my other speakers are Boston, so that's why I chose a Boston sub, so regardless of whether you think BA makes a good sub (SVS and HSU appear to be well-regarded choices), is it worth the $150 upgrade for an extra 9 Hz of extension?

I'm guessing that there's not a lot of material under 40 Hz in most movies, but after comparing with other subs, it seems that 38 Hz seems a little inadequate for a lower limit.

Also, does anyone have any experience with returning equipment to Tweeter? Can I simply return something because I want to upgrade, if I have the receipt and original packaging?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
--Nathan

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, at Tweeter you can return for full value within 30 days no questions asked. During the first year, you can upgrade at full value paid.

I had the PV500 for a week and moved up to a PV600. Both are very nice and I couldn't tell a difference. However, I had always planned on getting the PV600, they just didn't have one in stock, so, I never put the PV500 through a full range of tests.

Long term, $150 isn't a lot of money. I would probably do it for peace of mind. :D

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I don't think 9Hz of extra extension is going to make any audible difference, so I wouldn't bother going through all that return hassle (as backed up by Leigh's impression).

Spend the 150 bucks on something to watch or listen to. :emoji_thumbsup:

LJ

Roger Q

Stunt Coordinator
If you're using your system >70% for music then just keep what you've got.

If you using your system a fair or large percent of the time for HT then I'd suggest that you do return the sub either for an upgrade or a return all together if you are within your 30 day window. Try to get a sub that goes down to 25Hz for HT.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Thanks, all of you, for your advice.

I think I'm gonna upgrade tomorrow to the PV700. I think my girlfriend will appreciate it since she won't have to hear me debate about it anymore.

I know 9 Hz isn't a lot, but I think it'll be nice to get down to 29 Hz or lower (Boston's specs seemed a little conservative for the PV500). Plus, doubling the power can't hurt (200 watts vs. 100 watts).

Just out of curiosity, how low does that low frequency sweep go in the first scene (the battle scene) of Lord of the Rings (FOTR) after Sauron's fingers get cut off?

Thanks again, guys.

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
I'm wondering the same thing with that scene, but you should pick up a copy of DVE so that you can calibrate correctly (if you don't already have it that is) ;)

The most crazy scene is with the lake monster when it tears down the entrance to the cave-I'm thinking that scene is going down below 10hz-but it's only a guess.

rogo

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I understand wanting to match your speakers so please don't take this post the wrong way but if you want a real HT experience you can't beat SVS subs or HSU subs that deal direct online. Call Ron at SVS, tell him about your current system and room size and he will be able to tell you what you need. They wont over sell you and also talk to him about your current sub. I have seen him actually talk or help people get their current subs working properly and not even do a sale. Great company with a great reputation. Good luck.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Thanks, Mike, for the advice. Don't worry, I didn't take it the wrong way. Actually, I kind of expected at least one person to tell me to consider other brands.

From what I know (which isn't much), it is not as important for your sub to match your main speakers as it is for your center. However, I really would like a Boston sub to match all my other speakers. Although that might sound ignorant, I was cursed with the anal-retentive gene :)

Thanks again.
--Nathan

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator
Get a SVS sub or HSU sub just like there saying even posible make ur own. Then take the SVS or HSU decal off and Put a Boston Acoustics Decal on it. NO more matching problems:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks