Should I return my RP91?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I just got my RP91 yesterday and found out that it was manufactured in April. Should I try returning it for a newer version? Or will the firmware update be just as good? Getting a hold of it should not be a problem.

As well I'm becoming worried that since I don't have a progressive scan tv nor do I plan to get one soon(I have a good Pioneer Elite monitor)should I have gotten the RP56 instead? Would the RP91 still give me better picture quality? I will be hooking the unit up through S-Video connection.

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Howard,

Get a hold of the 236 upgrade. I wouldn't worry about returning the player. I also do not have an hdtv (yet) but love my panny rp91. And in 6 months or so when I go get the tv, I'll be ready for P scan. I would just keep the 91 and upgrade the firmware.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I did the same to my RP91 that I bought second hand, just popped in the firmware 236 CD-R and away it went to do its thing, and it even told me that the update would be beneficial and once it was done, it told me what to do next (Take out the CD and restart it). Pretty easy upgrade.

4. Howard_S

Well since I just bought it I could theoretically return it I hope. But of course I wouldn't want to go through the trouble. But I'll be keeping the player for many years so I want everything to be right. Didn't buy any extended warranty either. So should I keep it and do the firmware or should I definitely try exchanging it? Is there no difference?

5. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Don't return it. Just upgrade the firmware! Then your player will be IDENTICAL to one that is fresh off the assembly line.

6. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Howard - Congrats on getting the RP91. Although without a TV that can accept a progressive signal, I'm not sure why you got it. I think I just replied to your same post on AVSforum too [​IMG] .
    If your input is s-video, there's tons of players for half the price of the RP91 which you'll be very happy with.
    I know it's nice to think we can buy a device that will last us for 'many years' but it's probably unrealistic for DVD players right now.
    Perhaps you're spending too much time on these forums getting 'advice' about what to buy and not just experiencing things to decide.
    Anyway, good luck, whatever you decide.

7. Howard_S

Paul. It's really hard to find good advice these days on DVD players since most people on the boards seem to own an HDTV or plan to buy one in the very near future and reviews are usually based on their progressive capabilities to know the true quality of the video on non progressive monitors. I can only assume that since the RP91 is a great progressive player it would be better than lower end players in non progressive mode. I have asked countless of times but I have been unable to get any kind of consensus as to whether a player at half the price of the RP91 will provide as good or if not better picture quality than the RP91. However I am willing ot pay more for sound and I see digital coax connections rather than optical as the way to go for great surround sound.

If anyone can confirm that the RP91 would indeed give me better picture quality than say the RP56 in non progressive modes it would be great. I hope I still do have the option of returning/exchanging.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I've got a crappy 6 year old interlaced RPTV, and I was watching some 16x9 DVDs on it with my RP91, and I was very happy with the downconverted video I got from the RP91 (my old DVD player had this yucky chroma bug which is now not present with the RP91). At times I wish my RPTV would die so I'd have an excuse to go out and buy a new progressive model, but witht the RP91 in place, I don't have as strong a desire to wish ill on my old RPTV anymore.

Using the RP91, I also found the full screen video material to look pretty good on my current display.

I did try a JVC X62SL recently, and I think the RP91 beats it on my interlaced RPTV in video quality (the JVC is a close price-point model to the RP56).

9. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    How can I get the upgrade?

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Check out this thread, you should be able to dig up the information to get the CD image to burn to CD-R.

11. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Ok, I'll check that out. But I have no ability to burn anything to a CD-R. So that I don't waste my time browsing a long thread for info I can't use, are you saying that I can't order this or request it from Panasonic but have to download and burn it myself?

Anyone feel like making me a copy and sending it to me? I'll pay for the CD-R and the shipping.

12. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I received my RP-91 two days ago from J&R which was manufactured in December 2001. I pressed the proper button configuration to display the software version. (Press- open-stop-pause on the player & 7 on the remote) It has version "236" (up to date and current software version).

Nice player, think i'll keep it.

13. Howard_S

I think I'm keeping mine too. =)
    Chip we're going after pretty similar things. [​IMG]