What's new

Should I return my Christmas Gift?? (1 Viewer)

DaveAr

Stunt Coordinator
For christmas this year I received my first digital Camera. It is the HP Photosmart M305 (3.2mp /3x optical zoom/ 1.8 LCD.
Unfortunately I hate when others buy me electronic equipment LOL.
Now whenever I talk to anyone, or seek info on forums, I am told that this camera is "bad", poor performing etc. (I STILL haven't opened it).
The price was 149.00. I am willing to add to this to "upgrade" should I need to. I was steered via reading and discussions to either Canons ( A85), Nikon (Coolpix 4100), or upward to the Sony Cybershot DSC-W1 Digital Camera. Now with NO knowledge I am VERRY confused. These are within my price range of willing to add about 100.00 or so. The product was purchased at Staples so I need them to carry whatever I select. Any ideas, or info for a "Digital Virgin". Should I stay or should I go....With an upgrade? Thanks.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Well, you got this as a gift. Give it a try and see if you are even going to like digital photography. I got an HP Photosmart 635 this year and I really like it. Very simple to use and it takes great pictures. The M305 is a lot slimmer than mine but I'll bet it takes good pictures too. The only digicameras that I would really stay away from are the fixed lens type, the type where there is NO optical zoom, just digital.:)

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Dave:

IMHO, you'll be happier in the long run with an upgrade to either the Canon A85 or Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W1. Both are excellent point-n-shoot cameras for novices, and there are enough features for the intermediate user.

HP does some things well; unfortunately, digital cameras are not among them. If others are steering you away from the HP PhotoSmart line, there are usually good reasons as to why. ;)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Personally I think it depends on who gave it to you. If it's someone close, they may get offended if you just go and swap it. Maybe ask them if they would mind if you upgraded.

I also think that most people that give electronic gifts to people like us would not even know that you had upgraded. They will ask how you like the camera and you can say that you love it, bring it out and take a picture of them and they will be happy. :D

DaveAr

Stunt Coordinator
Ended up just upgrading slightly.
Went with the Nikon CoolPix 4100.
Got a good buy, and little outlay of cash.
This should give me a good insight to novice use of a digital camera.
This was a camera referred by someone.
Even at the store, the guy was really cool.
Would not let me spend needless amounts of money to upgrade to something i would not use. That's cool by me.
Especially when I said I wanted to add cash to my credit.
PLUS, unbeknownst to me. The time window allowed for returns had been well past. The store MGR that was helping me choose the camera was cool, and waived the time frame and allowed me to return the camera.
I could have been forced to keep what I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks