Should I replace the speaker wire that comes with my HTiB?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by StephenWE, Jan 14, 2005.

1. StephenWE

StephenWE Agent

I have to get a HTiB, this is due to both size and budget restraints. I have researched this decision, and I have decided to go with the Onkyo HT s-770. I liked it when I heard it in person, I trust the Onkyo name, and I have seen it recommended here, as well as other places. I'm not sure what gauge wire comes with the system, but is it worth replacing. My roommate, an audio novice like myself, thought that it will probably come packaged with 24 gauge wire and he suggested I replace that. What do you people think?

Many Thanks

2. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

From Onkyo I would expect better than 24 gauge. If it comes with less than 16 gauge, I would replace it.

3. StephenWE

StephenWE Agent

Good to know. I won't have the system for another week or so, but if I do have to replace it, any particular gauage/wire reccomendations?

4. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

If you can afford it and if it's going to be hidden, I would just bite the bullet and buy 12 gauge. (12 gauge is big, and harder to hide) 14 is fine too, but I would not go any smaller. There is usually only minimal price difference between 14 and 16. I bought a spool of 12 gauge from Lowes, (Note: they carry it on a different aisle than the 14/16, at least in my store) and the same is available from Home Depot. Also parts Express, if you want to order on-line. There is no reason to spend lots of cash on speaker cable.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think this gets asked about every other week. Try a search next time. Check to see that all your connections will accept 12ga before you go buying it...

6. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Anything but Monster [​IMG]

Seriously, go to Home Depot or Lowes, and get some 12 or 14 AWG wire and enjoy.

My room is painted grey, and I am going to use black 12 gauge wire for the surrounds, as it will match the color scheme (think spaceship in a sci-fi movie) of my room.

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

In the real world 18G should be sufficient for just about any HT application (and music for that matter). Anything smaller and you may have some trouble, particularly for the long runs to the rears. I say go with what's in the box and don't worry about it unless you hear something funky.