What's new

Should I replace the speaker wire that comes with my HTiB? (1 Viewer)

StephenWE

Agent
I have to get a HTiB, this is due to both size and budget restraints. I have researched this decision, and I have decided to go with the Onkyo HT s-770. I liked it when I heard it in person, I trust the Onkyo name, and I have seen it recommended here, as well as other places. I'm not sure what gauge wire comes with the system, but is it worth replacing. My roommate, an audio novice like myself, thought that it will probably come packaged with 24 gauge wire and he suggested I replace that. What do you people think?

Many Thanks

StephenWE

Agent
Good to know. I won't have the system for another week or so, but if I do have to replace it, any particular gauage/wire reccomendations?

chris_everett

Second Unit
If you can afford it and if it's going to be hidden, I would just bite the bullet and buy 12 gauge. (12 gauge is big, and harder to hide) 14 is fine too, but I would not go any smaller. There is usually only minimal price difference between 14 and 16. I bought a spool of 12 gauge from Lowes, (Note: they carry it on a different aisle than the 14/16, at least in my store) and the same is available from Home Depot. Also parts Express, if you want to order on-line. There is no reason to spend lots of cash on speaker cable.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think this gets asked about every other week. Try a search next time. Check to see that all your connections will accept 12ga before you go buying it...

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Anything but Monster :D

Seriously, go to Home Depot or Lowes, and get some 12 or 14 AWG wire and enjoy.

My room is painted grey, and I am going to use black 12 gauge wire for the surrounds, as it will match the color scheme (think spaceship in a sci-fi movie) of my room.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
In the real world 18G should be sufficient for just about any HT application (and music for that matter). Anything smaller and you may have some trouble, particularly for the long runs to the rears. I say go with what's in the box and don't worry about it unless you hear something funky.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks