Should I replace my Yamaha?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jeff-Watson, May 20, 2003.

1. Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson Stunt Coordinator

I am currently running a Yamaha htr-5540 in my dedicated room with Polk speakers all around and a Velodyne Cht-15 sub. I am interested in upgrading to 6.1 surround but my budget is very limited. I have found the new Pioneer vsx-d812 for around $225 online. So fire away. Will I be downgrading my sound quality going to Pioneer from my Yamaha. I have noticed the 1% thd of the Pioneer to th .07% of the Yamaha. Do you think I would be better served waiting for a year or so and increasing my budget for 7.1 sound. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Jeff-Watson

Also I am looking a the Sony 2es. Any opinions? Anyone?

3. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Hi Jeff. If I were you I would wait to upgrade your receiver. Going to 6.1 is nice however I do not think going from your current receiver to the pioneer would be that much of an upgrade. It seems to lateral a move. Do you like your Yamaha? If you do the rx-v1300 will probably be going on closeout this Fall. The price will be much lower and would be a good upgrade from your current receiver. I expect the price to be around the 500$ range so you may want to scrape away some more cash if that option interests you. Good luck.

4. Jeff-Watson

Makes sense I guess but how about the Sony es line?