Should I replace my surround wires?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Je-P, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Je-P

Je-P Stunt Coordinator

Here's the deal. I'm going to be getting a new HT setup, consisting of the Denon 3803 and axiom speakers. I plan on getting the QS8's for my surrounds. Right now in my HT room I'm using a 2 year old Sony HTIB with factory speaker wires. I have run the wires for my surrounds along the cracks off the walls so you could barely see them. When I get my new setup, should I go through the process of replacing the wires for the surround? I can't really tell but they look to be at least 18 gauge.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

They might even be smaller than that. I'd look towards replacing them if only for the peace of mind it'd give you given the relatively low cost of 12 gauge. This'll also give you an opportunity to pick up spades or bananas and terminate the wires the way you like it. Now 12's gonna be a bit thicker for sure so if the old wires went into some cracks or spaces, the new ones certainly won't fit there. It'd mean a little bit of planning upon your part. Now there are flat wires out there, some flatter than others, that'd allow you to run under the carpet however like anything else, that's going to cost a bit more. You'll find numerous sources online where wire and connectors can be obtained. accessories4less, partsexpress, knukonceptz, and others have got their own favorites that they've had positive experiences with. Don't forget to calibrate your system and spend a little time working on speaker placement to get the most out of what you've bought. best of luck [​IMG]

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I bet some inexpensive 12-gauge Sound King or Home Depot wire would make a noticeable improvement, particularly on a long run to the rear speakers.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

don't know about that, but they sure wouldn't fit in the cracks anymore!

5. Je-P

Je-P Stunt Coordinator

I have drywall and have it running against the edges of the walls. I might replace them, but at best with 14 gauge.

6. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

How long are your rear wire runs? If they are over 25 feet, you may want to get 12 gauge wire to decrease the resistance of the wire over a long run to your speakers. The less resistance that the current has going into your speakers, the less efficiently they are working and perhaps sound less loud.

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Assuming I have the extra cable laying around, would it be preferable to "shotgun" a connection to my rear speakers or bi-wire them?

My thinking is as follows: I'm not convinced that biwiring would produce any sonic benefits, but perhaps it would reduce resistance. On the other hand, "shotgunning" two runs of wire to the same terminal might do this better (assuming that the biwiring option does it at all).

Or are both options unnecessary overkill?