What's new

Should I replace my Playstation 2 as a DVD Player with a Magavox player from Bestbuy? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
While I am not made out of money, I do have over $185 dollars and sorta in the mood to get a new DVD player, but I still tempted to get some more DVDs and use the PS2 for them for a while longer. Granted, I know the PS2 sucks at playing discs with layer changes, but other then that, it not that bad. Color on it is pretty good due to the THX color system included in one of my movies and a compact cable.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
If you're happy with the PS2 as a DVD player then why make a change? A while back I replaced my aging stand alone DVD player with an X Box and I'm quite happy with it. If you're looking to get the most bang for your buck it just might be worth saving up a few more bucks and getting an X Box. That way you would be getting an excellent DVD player and a top notch gaming console.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Don't have to worry about the X-Box, my sister who lives in the same house has one, and she allows me to play it at anytime.

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO, I think almost any standalone player will function better than a game system. I'm sure there are exceptions (incredibly cheap players, aging players, etc.).

Given that, I generally only recommened players from Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony and Toshiba (at least in the low-price range). I think the Panasonic RV-32 would probably be a pretty interesting player at that price point.

You might want to head over to audioreview.com and read the reviews there.... don't read the glowing ones... read the ones that are lengthy... the ones where people took the time to say something. I would also recommend reading ones that give the player a low rating.... you may uncover some of the known issues for that particuliar player.

-Alan

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Cool, thanks for the link. Maybe I can find a good player to use with my 27 inch Sharp television set with two compact slots (one for the dvd player/games, other for the Dish TV).

[edit] Sadly, checking the site, I could only find reviews for DVD players that cost over two hundered dollars. And any player that I looked at before has no price listing or not listed.

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
Ken, I would recommend that you definitely go out and buy a separate DVD player ASAP. You will get better performance from a stand alone DVD player. BUT the major reason I would recommend getting one is because of your PS2. I have a buddy who owns a video game store..........there have numerous problems with people playing DVDs in their PS2s, and then having numerous, if not complete failures with their unit playing games afterward. Most of the problems seem to arise playing silver-backed games, though there were a couple of instances where the PS2 stopped playing ANYTHING except DVDs.

My friend had over 20 people come in April(over 90!! days after X-mas...think warranty) complaining that they were having problems with their PS2s.........every one of the complaints was regarding games that wouldn't play and/or would freeze up almost immediately. EVERYONE had also played DVDs in their units......and also was given the brush-off by Sony. "Yeah......you'll have to send that in..........$120 plus you pay for shipping." One lady who came in had a pretty amazing story.....she had just bought a PS2 for Christmas because her husband and 12 year old son wanted one. Everything was great...they really liked it and also could play their PS1 games on it also.Then in late March their kid played a DVD in it so he could watch something in his room. Just over a week later, it stopped playing ANY type of silver-backed game and was having seizure problems with some of their blue-backed games. Of course, it was now April and their 90 day warranty was expired by 4 days.

Now the thing is they already had a Playstation..........but it was the third one they've had! They had bought the Playstation about 3 weeks after it had first come out........and it was part of that notorious first batch that had the CD player problems(the ones Sony acknowledged 4-5 years AFTER).It lasted 3 weeks. They went out and got another one......that lasted 4 months before it broke down. They went out and got another one.........the third was (finally) the charm and that still works.

So the lady called up Sony about her PS2..........explained what was going on and asking what could be done for her. "OK......that'll be $120.00 and here is the address you need to ship it to." She was pretty irate about that and started mentioning that I've bought 3!! of your original Playstations and now I'm having the same problems with your PS2 and you're telling me it's going to cost $120?!?!. I bought 3 of those first ones.........this seems to be getting a bit ridiculous how they break down and how your treat loyal customers. "OK, OK, hold on lady.........let me go talk to my supervisor." Gentleman comes back after a couple of minutes....."alright, I talked to my supervisor and we'll fix it for $60. We'll do this specially for you." Needless to say, she was furious and hang up. Which is when she came to Mike's store and I heard this story.

A PS2(or an Xbox, though that hasn't had the problems) is a game system that HAPPENS to also play games........not the other way around. I just relayed this instance as an example of what could happen further down the road and the hassle you might have to deal with.........it is ALWAYS best to get a stand-alone DVD player. Better performance and makes your game system last longer. Good luck!

By the way, Panasonic and Toshiba seem to make the best DVD players for the money. Pioneer is also good, but to me Toshiba is the champion of inexpensive bang-for-the-buck).

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Well prior to your post, I finally decided to get a new player from Amazon.com that should come in on Friday (not ordered yet). It a Panasonic DVD-RV31K DVD Player (Black) for hundred, and now that I heard this, I not playing any more DVD now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks