What's new

Should I replace my Minimus 77's with a pair of JBL N24II's (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
My Minimus 77's have served my "Budget system" well for some time but maybe it's time to upgrade. For movies they still sound good, but I just don't watch as many movies as I used to. I bring up the N24'S only because they seem to be a "value" favorite at this forum. I was hoping for some feedback from guys that have replaced their 77's, if possible. I'm looking for some suggestions for replacement rears with a MAX $150 budget. My system is now used mostly for music(70/30). My 77's are currently mounted slightly behind on the wall six feet high "toed in" facing the center of the listening area. I need something mount-able, preferable that come with with mounting hardware. Here's the other details of my budget system:

Yamaha RX-V530

X-Box (DVD/CD)

JBL L40's (mains) port-plugged

Boston Acoustics 424v(center)

Radio Shack - Minimus 77's(rear)

Thanks!

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I KNOW there are some "closet" Minimus owners on this board. If you fear ridicule and reprisals please feel free to e-mail me.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I need some suggestions for replacement rears with a MAX $150 budget.
I assume you are using the Minimus 77's in the surround location, since you list the JBL L40's for the mains (plugged - ???) and the Boston Acoustics 424v for your center.

Sounds like you're not concerned with timbre-matching this setup, so the JBL N24IIs will work @ the surround location.

The key to any HT Setup, timbre-matched or not, is REFERENCE Calibration, ... using your RS SPL Meter and Video Essentials (75 dB), or AVIA (85 dB) or Sound&Vision HT Tune-up DVD (85 dB), or internal Yamaha Test Tones (75 dB).

Phil

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Phil thanks for the input! Your right I did qualify the feedback and yes the 77's are my current surround speakers. I want to upgrade them because my new RX-V530 receiver is showing how weak these speakers are for music. When I use DPL II and shift the sound balance more toward the rears they sound "thin". I don't have a sound meter or any of the calibration programs you mentioned. I was hoping to get a couple of recommendations for some "budget" rear speakers which would be used primarily for music. And no, timbre matching is not critical.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I don't have a sound meter or any of the calibration programs you mentioned.
Save your milk money and get the Radio Shack Analog SPL Meter, the idea is to equalize the SPL sound @ your 'sweet spot'. You can use the Yamaha's internal Test Tones @ 75 dB to REF Calibrate all the speakers.
Read my webpage "Calibration Techniques" for my process using Video Essentials DVD.
Otherwise, the JBL N24 come w/wall omni-mount brackets w/tools and it was benchmarked by Sound&Vision @ the surround location (60-degree weighting)
N-24 surround.... 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB
NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Phil you're right, my speakers are set-up large, small and small in the order you listed them. No I don't have a sub. I'll check out your web-site. Thanks! John

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Hey John -

I did some searching and dug up this thread. What did you wind up doing? I am looking to upgrade my rear soundstage and am trying to decide if it is worth the extra $$ (and space) for the N24's over RS' current version of the Minimus 7, mostly for multichannel SACD use.

Thanks!

Mark

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
I've had similar RatShack speakers for surrounds (with a 4" midwoof instead of 5") and I think the JBLs would be a solid upgrade for the $$$. Even though their midwoof is only 4", they put out decent bass (certainly enough to handle the Yammie's 90 Hz rolloff) and the midrange and treble is quite noticeably superior to the RatShack speakers. I found their silk dome tweeters a bit too relaxed and not as detailed as the JBL's.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Man.......talk about back from the dead!?! I took "Mr JBL's" (Phil) advice and upgraded to the N24ii's and have never regretted it! For music lovers, at that price point, it's the best available surround speaker. It even comes complete with mounting hardware! Thanks JBL!

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Well I will take advice from all three of you and go with the N24's as well. I am currently using JBL S-series for my front soundstage so it makes sense to me to "keep it in the family".

Mark

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Mark - I don't recommend mixing the N-Series and S-Series speakers models based on their individual voice (timbre-matching) characteristics.
JBL officially writes that ...
dedicated said:
My side-by-side comparision confirms the above observation by Bente.
But playing them @ different locations** though, ... the differences are less obvious and both HT setups w/sub, ... satisfies the 'better' than the local Cinema Theater sound by leaps and bounds!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
**My JBL NSP1's (5.1) / AudioSource SW15 are @ my vacation house and my Main HT has the JBL S-Series (6.1) / SVS 25-31PCi.
Hope this helps,
Phil

Dennis Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to bump in here but can anyone recommend some speaker mounts for the N24's? I do not have the mounts that came with the speakers.

I've seen some mounts on different sites (best buy, etc.). Are the holes in the n24's universal sized?

thanks.

de

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I know it isn't ideal to mix N series and S series but I don't really have a choice as there is no S series speaker anywhere near as small as the N24. Both the S36 and the S26 are way to big for the space I have.

Mark

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Mark - Since the JBL S26II is the smallest S-Series speaker, then I recommend the JBL N24 which comes with omni-mount wall brackets & tools.
The N24/N24II vs. S26II will not be 100% timbre-matched (N-Series 3/4" Titanium-laminate dome vs. S-Series 1" Pure Titanium dome), but it will be closer than any other manufacuture.
JBL brand manager Paul Bente wrote ...
Voice-wise, the two series are similar," ...
... which I agree!
Here's a digital pic of my Right Surround Speaker when the JBL NSP1's was in my Main HT (my JBL NSP1 is now @ my vacation house).
After REF Calibration, ... they sounded OK with my JBL S26 Front / S-Center. I played my HT w/N24's @ the side surrounds for 3-days, until I could get the hanging hardware from Home Depot for my right side surround JBL S26.
FYI: The JBL N24AW is White (outdoor sealed) with the same tonal quality of the indoor JBL N24's.
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gk7193
Recent bookmarks