What's new

Should I replace my Klipsch RC3II Center? (1 Viewer)

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I currently have the RC3II center but had the KLF C7(wish i never sold it!). Would the RC7 be big upgrade over the RC3II? I have RF3II's for mains.

Here is my setup:

Rotel RSP 1066 pre-amp/processor
Rotel RMB 1075 - 120x5 @ 8ohms THX Ultra Certified
Rotel RB 981 - 130X2 @ 8ohms
Yamaha DVD C920 Progressive scan/dvd-audio
Klipsch RF3II's - Mains
RC3II Center
Klipsch KSF 8.5's(towers) - Side surrounds
Klipsch RB3 - Back surrounds
SVS 20-39 PC+
Thanks for any feedback!

Dalton

Cam S

Screenwriter
The RC-7 will over power your RF-3's in my opinion. I opted to get the RC-3 because I didn't plan on going with the RF-7's, which are the match for the RC-7. Excellent center speaker though, so it's up to you in the end, maybe it won't be much of a difference for you.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
The RC-7 will over power your RF-3's in my opinion
I just picked up and RC7 tonight and i agree with you 100%. I had to compensate by turning the level down. I figured that it would over power the RF3's so i took advantage of a trade in at my dealer and upped to the RF5's which are a good match according to the Klipsch website. The RF5's match either the RC3 or the RC7. The RF5 and RC7 have the same dual 8" woofers and the same horn. I couldn't pick up the RF5's tonight because they won't be in until tuesday. I got a great deal on the RC7(open box) but it was cherry wood finish so i had to order the RF5's cherrywood to match the center, the wife want's everything be color co-ordinated:)(great excuse to upgrade).

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Dalton,

I upgraded my RF-3's/RC-3 to the RF-5's/RC-7 almost a year ago and have been quite happy. It was a very noticeable improvement in the front sound stage in my opinion as well as others who had heard my system before and after. I actually kept the RF-3'S for use on the rear channels and sold the RC-3.
I had the RB3's for about a month before deciding to trade them in for the RF-5's. They were pretty good sounding speakers.
What do plan to do with the RF-3's?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Kevin,
I traded the RF3's in to the dealer (got my full purchase price for them) towards the rf5's. I had a 1yr trade in option that was set to expire so i made the move. I have towers (Klipsch KSF 8.5's) for my side surrounds and the RB3's have the center back duties. I was also able to trade the RC3(again got the full purchase price) towards the RC7.

Dalton

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Update. I was asking around on the Klipsch forum and i talked to a person who was using 2 RC7's as main speakers(in a 2 ch. setup even!). He talked to Klipsch and they said it was definetly do-able. You get the same horn and tweeter as the RF7's for less $$. I don't need the big woofs in the RF7's(SVS 20-39PC+) but the better tweeter and crossover would be nice. Also i like the idea of having the same 3 speakers across the front. I called my dealer today and changed my order to 2 more RC7's. All i have to do is rotate the horn 45 degrees and stand the speakers up like monitors(very easy mod according to Klipsch). I really look forward to hearing this combo! Also, moving the horn does not void the warranty from Klipsch(one of my main concerns). I have the perfect stands to mount them. Can't wait!

Cam S

Screenwriter
Dalton, I'm VERY interested in doing what you describe with rotating the Horn 90 degrees. Did a Klipsch rep tell you this is doable?? I'm able to get Klipsch at near cost, but the RF-7's are still $2200 (Canadian) and the RC-7 is only about $600 (can.). It would be interesting to use the RC7's as mains, I wonder how they would pair up with the RC-3 as the center? Hmmmmmm.....

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
I thought about doing that myself, but I was afraid of someone knocking the speakers of the stands. Plus I would need some heavy duty stands to hold them.

When you say rotate the horn, do you mean actually removing the horn from the box and rotating it, or do you mean placing the speaker on its side versus placing it horizontally? If you have to remove the horn, will Klipsch still honor the warranty?

I'm really curious to hear your comments once you get them setup. I think it'll sound pretty impressive. Are you still getting the cherry finish?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Kevin, Cam,
According to the individual i talked to, Klipsch told him it does NOT void the warranty. Yes , you do need some heavy duty stands(at least you will be comfortable putting the RC7's on). This is some of the info i have(from Klipsch forum):
Using the RC7's as mains actually came up on the board here several months ago. Someone from Klipsch (PhilH?) submitted a post saying that they had in fact played with the RC7's as mains and were very impressed with their performance. Turning the horn will not void the warranty - the screws line up no matter which way you turn the horn. You will need the right tool though - Klipsch uses those nifty, 6 point, Star of David shaped (what the hell are those things called?) screws. It is very simple. Lay the speaker on it's back. Take the screws out. Now, spread your hand over the surface of the whole driver and with your other hand tilt the speaker over on it's side. Keep 'rolling' the cabinet until the driver falls out into your hand. Be alert - the weight of the driver/horn will surprise you. Get a good grip on it and then roll the cabinet back. Turn the driver and turn the screws back in. Don't overtighten. Snug - then 1/4 turn. You need to be aware that the RC7 comes with two holes on the bottom of the cabinet to support tilting legs for angling purposes. Turned upright - they will be visible, however, they are not unsightly. I was very paranoid about these cause I'm kind of nit-picky. After I saw them I decided I could easily live with them. I got them in Cherry and they look gorgeous. I decided that if anyone ever says anything about the holes - I will tell them it's part of the venting system. You know, better bass - vent off the heat - all that good stuff. DO NOT use the supplied rubber doo-dads on the bottom of the speaker, or on the speaker stands. There is something about the material that takes the top layer off of the veneer after it has been in contact with it for a while. As I write this, I am waiting for my replacement pair as Klipsch is honoring the warranty. Call Klipsch and request they send you the felt pads instead. With the speaker laying flat, holes in cabinet down, binding posts oriented in the right position - the driver on the left is the one that cuts out early. I am still experimenting. Right now I am using 18" stands with the full range woofer on top. I am thinking I might want to get the horn a little higher - not much - and I may flip it back the other way. I just haven't decided yet. Audio Nirvana? Sometimes - it really depends on the recording. Good recordings sound astounding - bad recordings sound astoundingly bad. Everything HT / DVD sounds incredible. If you have a small to medium sized room, and if you plan on using a sub anyways - I think they are just the ticket.
I guess i will find out later this week!

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Well i did it. I rotated the horns 45 degrees and set the RC7's up as monitor speakers. An all RC7 front three. One word...WOW. Great sound already and they aren't even broken in yet! Anyone interested in what this setup looks like can email me and i will send pictures.

Dalton

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Dalton, how do you have the speaker standing? Full range woofer on top or bottom? Have you experimented with it either way?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Thanks Kevin, i love it:):emoji_thumbsup:
Ben, I sent you pix of the setup. Klipsch recommends the full range woofer on the top. I rotated the horn to the right one quarte of a turn and put the full range woofer on top. Great combo.
Dalton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks