What's new

Should I really wait for the Phillips 963?? (1 Viewer)

scott cerv

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a nice prog scan DVD player and am currently looking at the Denon 1600. I want nice audio along with no "chroma bug". Either one of the 5 channel music formats will do as I'm sure at some point I'll want both. I also like the feature in the 963 that upsamples CD's as then I wouldn't have to go purchase a new DAC for 2 channel. Is this new player going to be the real deal of should I just go ahead and get the Denon??
SC

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
It is hard to tell about the 963 even with all the chat on AVS forum about this player. I've never seen so much talk about hacking and such with very little info about how the player stacks up. 90% of the post talk about hacking.

I've thought pretty hard about trying to track down a Phillips SACD-1000 on the $399 closeout price I've heard about. This flagship SACD player was $2000 when it first came out and is suppose to be FANTASTIC with SACD but it is only so so with DVD video. But still, $399 would buy a SACD player that would compete with the best of that format.

The Panasonic 82 DVD player is suppose to be one of the better video players but its DVD-Audio is only so so. But for a $200 or so player, that could be a good choice as well. Heck, buying the SACD-1000 plus the Pany 82 for just over $600 may be the best of both worlds.

Now if the new Phillips player stacks up well in the audio department to the SACD-1000 (the 1000 IS 2 years old) but has video comparable to the Pany 82, that would be my choice.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I followed the AVSFORUM discussion, occasionally asking for specifics regarding performance compared against existing models (mostly from the SACD-sound quality perspective). Finally, I threw up my hands in frustration and purchased the Sony C555ES. The Philips may well be a fantastic player, but it was impossible to gauge that given the very poor, though well-meaning reviews from overseas owners.
Given that you're primarily interested in its DVD playback, I still don't know what to tell you. I'd love to have a player that converts PAL to NTSC and overrides region codes and boasts a faroudja chipset, no chroma bug, blah blah, but I haven't the slightest notion of the quality of this player's output. All in all, it's been very frustrating trying to get an early read on the 963, and I sympathize with you - but unfortunately can't help you. :frowning:

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Thanks Rich. You would think 26 pages (or whatever it is now) of comments would give a CLUE as to the audio quality of the 963. Maybe it was/is a language barrier thing...LOL

Do you know how the 555 stacks up against the SACD-1000? From what I've read, they should be pretty close.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Charles, I haven't had a chance to hear the SACD-1000, but had I known about the upcoming price-reduction I'd certainly have auditioned it. As it was, however, the additional $400 over the price of the C555ES put it well beyond my price-range.
Here's one thread on the subject that might be helpful: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ilips+SACD1000
Now that the SACD-1000 is soon to be priced less than the C555ES, I think it deserves a long listen, particularly if you'd also be satisfied with its DVD performance/features.

scott cerv

Stunt Coordinator
Thank goodness I'm not the only one who couldn't find squat about audio performance in that thread. Really I'm just as interested in SACD playback and DVD-A as I would be with the video. I'm thinking I'll just get the Denon and hit my man Doug/Jim Oade up for the SACD player. Then it will be back to the boy's in CO for a P-3a/P-1 combo. Might take longer. Oh, I don't remember, but does anyone know if the 963 does scaling?? I'm pretty sure my Mit WS55511 locks into standard with prog scan signal.
SC

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Really I'm just as interested in SACD playback and DVD-A as I would be with the video. I'm thinking I'll just get the Denon and hit my man Doug/Jim Oade up for the SACD player.
Scott, I don't know how things stand today, but I was told that I got the last C555ES that Oade had in-stock... this was about two weeks ago.

Even though I haven't heard the Philips SACD-1000 (not the 963!), I've heard alot about it. And the price reduction that Charles mentioned makes it really attractive. It seems that some prefer it to the Sony ES line (though I believe Stereophile ranks the Sonys higher), and so it probably deserves an audition. And if you can get it for $200 less than the C555ES and get DVD-V, to boot... well, it's worth a look, I think!

What I'd like now is an excellent DVD-A player that also does all-region, PAL-converting DVD-V with a Faroudja quality chipset and no chroma bug.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
All the positive talk about the Philips SACD 1000 is interesting now. When it first came out, it only got so-so reviews in print. Stereophile rated it just a Class B component, while the Sony ES SACD players have consistently been rated in the A or A+ categories. Obviously, one has to take these rating with a grain of salt, but I do remember the SACD 1000 getting so-so reviews. Nevertheless, I would give it a listen if available for $350-400.

I am very intrigued by the '963SA since it looks great on paper. I don't regularly visit AVS Forum, but from what I am hearing about the '963SA thread there, it looks like we will have to wait for this player to hit the US. In the meantime, J&R Music World is taking pre-orders for $400. Someone on Audio Asylum said that a phone salesman at J&R told him that they would be getting 60 units of the '963SA this week. This information could be bogus. I have heard that the player won't be available in the US until early 2003.

scott cerv

Stunt Coordinator
It is also being said there are clicks in audio playback on the 963a. I guess I'll wait a little while until we can get some more reviews.
SC

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
There are a lot of us in Canada waiting for this player, now that we have a Philips retailer again (Best Buy). Hope it works out well, but so far, if you don't mind DVD-A and want good video too, the Denon 1600 still seems the deal.

Bryan Guth

Agent
The info on the new Philips player from users is almost useless. It seems everyone is discussing the minute peculiarities and not devling into what matters most to the majority of consumers. Even Philips CS has been mute on this, instead pushing towards the more expensive '962 in stores now. I was considering this player for its new processing chip and SACS capability (and would keep the RP82 as my benchmark for video quality), but there seems to be a lot of behind the scenes dirty dealing with this player, and it makes me hesitant to consider Philips at all. Perhaps the upcoming Yamaha player will be the one to choose for those who want excellent deinterlacing with SACD playback. For now, I'm grinning from ear to ear with my Panny.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Gotta agree for excellent video the RP82's the thing. But for audio (CD, DVD-A) I'm not so keen on it. So far the multi-format audio/video players don't seem so good, the 1600 seeming one of the better ones so far. Just hoping there are some more soon...

YANG

Screenwriter
PHILIPS DVD963SA gets praised by the asian users/reviewers for its better audio and video qualities compare to other SACD players from PIONEER...such as DV655A(european model DV656A)
DVD963SA performance was boosted with higher video DAC and better bass management.

A recent review done by a UK magazine(HIFI CHOICE?) claims that DVD763SA performance loses out to other makes.

Too bad that PHILIPS DVD963SA came out too late,although packed with quality A/V DAC and qualities.
In SINGAPORE,PIONEER DV655A is now priced in a competitive level of SGD$550,the most possible competition will be from PHILIPS DVD763SA...while DV755AI comes with a hefty price tag of SGD$1200...facing competition from PHILIPS DVD963SA.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Doh! $700 MSRP??? I was hoping to get it for ~$400. I hope that's just one of those highly inflated MSRPs.

On the plus side, it's available this month(!).

_Man_

ReggieW

Screenwriter
CraigF,

I don't know about the Canadian Best Buy chains, but here in the states, they only carry mostly entry level components from major companies. The most expensive DVD player at my local Best Buy is about $225.00 USD, and I believe it's one of the Sony carousel changers. I own the Denon 1600 and it is outstanding on the audio and video end. Its weak point is the absence of a coaxial output, but I have no problem with optical (have more of those on my receiver anyway). I have a Sony SCD-C222es changer for CD/SACD playback but also utilize the Denon as well from time to time since the 222es is always full with Sacd's. I can attest that the Denon 1600 nearly matches the 222es when it comes to redbook playback to my ears - a testament of the Denon's audio ability.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Man-Fai said:

Doh! $700 MSRP??? I was hoping to get it for ~$400. I hope that's just one of those highly inflated MSRPs.
Last I heard, which wasn't long ago, the '963SA would retail for $500. Also, as of a month ago or so, J&R Music World had the '963SA available for pre-order on its web site for $400.

James RD

Supporting Actor
Well, since my interests were for an upgraded DVD player and SACD capability I went ahead and ordered this unit. It should be here by Thurs. so hopefully I'll be able to post some initial thoughts on this player by next weekend. This might be fun. I have no real clue as to what to expect.:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
James, where did you order it from? I was not aware that any US dealers had it in stock. I look forward to your review. What will be comparing it to for DVD and CD? Do you have an SACD player already?

James RD

Supporting Actor
Got it from OneCall for $499( got them to pay the shipping charges).I don't have an SACD player at present. I have a JVC XVS60 progressive DVD player that I use exclusively for DVDs. My redbook CD player (which I think is great) is a Cambridge Audio D500SE. I have an HK520 and Klipsch RF-3 II speakers. Definitely mid-fi. I also have a Toshiba 50H82.
I'm certainly no expert, but I'll do my best to share my impressions of the '963SA. BTW, I believe the units arrived at OneCall on Friday.
http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_16414.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks