Should I purchase Criterion's 'The Tin Drum?'

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Nathan V, May 17, 2004.

1. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

Well?

I like movies that are visually fascinating (I'm a photographer) and have strong, rich character development and have a lot of intellectual and/or emotional depth. Michael Mann, Francis Coppola, Martin Scorsese, and Oliver Stone are my favorite directors.

Well? Is this a film I would watch over and over? Is it worth $40?

I would love it if people could chime in with their thoughts about the film, its technical and thematical merits, if its overrated, and what other films it is similar to.

Thanks much.

Regards,
    Nathan

oh, please tell me there is no suicide in this movie. That's the one thing I can't take in films (not enough time to go into why that is, but I'd appreciate if somebody could confirm this point)

2. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I don't know about 40 bucks, I preordered it for 25 at Amazon myself. Haven't seen it, but from everything I read it sounds fantastic, as is the DVD.

3. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Nathan to be honest, give it a rental. It's different from the likes of what you mentioned. A very special film but an aquired taste. Give it a spin, but not a blind buy.
    Suicide is a subject touched.

4. Kevin*Kerouac

Kevin*Kerouac Auditioning

I recommend reading the book to anybody. Rent the movie though. Schlondorff doesn't penetrate the characters as well as Gunter Grass did in his novel. So many characters are also left out of the movie and the last third of the book isn't in the movie.
    I saw it recently after reading it. I felt let down despite the visual impact the film has left on me.

5. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

I bought THE TIN DRUM last week and the transfer is truly spectacular along with a remarkable new 5.1 soundtrack.
    There are excellent supplements as well
    Its on my list as one of the best DVDs I've purchased this year!

6. John*C

John*C Stunt Coordinator

Nathan your a photographer and the words beauty of the beholder should come to mind, will $40 break you? I ask this question as most of the 3 I own have held their price, except for 1 which has skyrockeded SALO. Original price of SALO was $29.95 but check ebay.com to see what a white ring 'authentic' is selling for. You never know what is going to go up in price, but in general Criterion is held above the other studios in asked or selling price. [​IMG]

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Not if you live in Oklahoma or Florida, unless you enjoy the police busting in your door. [​IMG]

8. Phil K

Phil K Auditioning

@Nathan
    The book is, as with most movie adaptations, better than the movie. But it is for sure totally different from movies of the directors you mentioned. Still it is a beautiful photographed picture.

By the way guys, this movie is rated as equivalent to PG in Germany [​IMG]
    It might not have been banned in some US states if the nudity would be accompanied by some gory violence or like Jack Nicholson once put it:
    "If you suck on a tit the movie gets an R rating. If you hack the tit off with an axe it will be PG."

Cheers,
    Phil

9. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

What does Florida have to do with this?

Jeff

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Overaggressive DAs in Florida have also prosecuted people for possessing movies and books that they don't approve of. Florida is the only state in the country that has criminally prosecuted someone for drawing pictures and has ordered them as a condition of their probation not to draw pictures.