Should I or shouldn't I buy a 3802 denon? anyone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TommyL, Jul 11, 2002.

1. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

I currently have a yammy 5240 receiver, and I think it works well..Grabbed some new s26 speakers(jbl) and s center 2 (jbl)....I have a svs 2039pci sub, and figure I'm ok..but that deal is telling me to buy...anyone in the same scenario? I haven't tried my new speaker/receiver combo yet, but I feel the 3802 as everyone has said, would really top off the system for a bit anyways[​IMG] I was also looking at the marantz 7200/8200 receivers...what should I do?? wait, and use my yammy 5240, or dive in...noticable difference is what I'd need to persuade myself[​IMG] Will there be THAT much? thanks much..tom ps..room is 12x14x8'.

2. Thomas Molnar

Tom

Do yourself a favor and get the Sony STR-DA 5ES. With three gaming systems, satellitle, DVD, it has allowed me to connect all of them. Plus, it is one of the very few receivers that has 4 optical inputs.

3. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

Tommy, I just upgraded from a 5240 to the 3802 this week. It's a definite improvement, I can tell you. The prices on 3802's online are very good right now, so I don't think you can lose by getting one. You won't hear many negatives on the 3802, especially on this forum, as it's pretty popular around here [​IMG]
    But before you lay your money down, you should check out a couple other ones to be sure the Denon is the best one for you. As Thomas mentioned, the 5ES is another popular choice, as are the Marantz and Harmon Kardons.
    Any one of those would be a good upgrade from the 5240, which is not in the same class in terms of sound quality and features.

4. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Thanks Tom, and Eric...I am either going with a marantz, or a denon...eric, did you get the 699 deal? thanks agAIN! TOM

5. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Tommy,
    I know that the other receivers (Sony & Marantz) are real good competitors with the Denon 3802, but the deal that you can get on the 3802 is just too hard to pass up. I definitely recommend getting the 3802 for $699. I have had my 3802 since xmas and it replaced a Sony STR-DB930 and the upgrade was very noticeable. Heck, even my wife could tell [​IMG]

6. Willy burz

Willy burz Stunt Coordinator

You CAN'T pass up the 3802, Denon is quality and performance. In my opinion if you take a sony instead of a Denon you should be shot, that and most of the sony receivers can double as a toaster with all the heat they put off! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

I really like my Sony receiver. It doesn't play music very well, but everyone huddles around it in Winter to keep warm. It has cut my heating bill in half.

8. Willy burz

Willy burz Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]