What's new

Should I? My Sony DA777ES Vs Yamaha RX-V1? (1 Viewer)

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
I'm headed to Houston in the morning (Tweeter there), & I'm TRYING to quit wondering if it's even an upgrade. They are pretty darn closely matched IMO. DAMN! These RX-V1's are $1000 now, from $3200 retail (LOL). I'm wondering if the Yammie is really an "upgrade" at all? It has more digital inputs, which certainly is nice. My crappy Scientific Atlanta digital cable box only has a coax digital output, whereas the 777 I have sports optical there. What is Sony's friggin obsession with optical!? Also, ALL my stuff is Sony, DVPS7700 DVD, 61" TV, etc. The Sony has dual subwoofer preouts for my Klipsch RP5's as well. The Sony has a full on LCD remote, & I'm not certain on the Yammie. I know there WAS/IS a promotion on a pronto style yamaha remote. Anyone know if the new ones come with the pronto style remote? Also, the Sony has 120 watts "push pull high current" VS 110 watts on the Yamaha. The Sony sounds very nice for HT, & I could give 2 craps about Yamahas 54 DSP modes. It also does well for music, very warm. I've heard the Yamahas are not as good for music as they excel at HT. The ES has a 5 year warranty, 4 years left from Tweeter. The Yammie, 2 years. The bottom line, I paid $450 open box (PERFECT) for the 777, & I can snag a RX-V1 for $999. I could probably make $ selling the 777 on Feebay. They are quite scarce aftermarket. IDEAS?

JackS

Supporting Actor
Patrick- I'm also a 777es owner and therefor pretty biased when it comes to this receiver. My thought is that the Yamaha would not be an upgrade. A 1000 bucks isn't chump change and with that much money you could make a very nice dent in a pre-amp purchase . Sell the Sony and with the proceeds get a used multichannel amp. Unless you have specific needs that the RX-V1 can provide for you that the 777 can't, I'd stay with your current receiver until the upgrade to seperates, which (by the way) will be the path I'll be taking some day. If you do decide to get the Yamaha, give us all a short or long posting of your impressions of the differences The very best of luck, Jack

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
it wasnt all that long ago that the RXV1 was over 2000...

i got to hear one once, and i would say that the musicality of the receiver was quite good. i thought it was much more neutral than onkyo's and denon's.

Rich

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
The change would probably cost me $300 or so after selling the 777. I am not convinced that it is even better though, for my needs anyway. The Sony seems to have better specs on paper. Apparently the DA777 has some sort of "following". Sony made it & the 900 Seperates too good for the pricepoint. I also hear that the 777 was taking away from the seperates sales. Try & find a magazine review on one! Many stores I have been to say that's why Sony dropped it so soon. Look at the new ES line, not even the same machines. I'm gonna go take a listen to the RX-V1 in a damn anechoic chamber(Tweeter, LOL) & see how it sounds. Open mind and all...

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
I've always been amazed that there hasn't been any similar replacements from Sony for the 777ES and the 9000ES series.

I recently took the plunge and went up to the Outlaw 950 to replace my 9000ES. Was disappointed Sony hadn't come out with anything new to match it.

oh well.

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I DID IT. I pulled the trigger on the RX-V1 yesterday. WHAT A HOSS! 61 POUNDS! It sounded great in the demo room, on some Klipsch Reference 5's, which are close to my RP'5s. The DD/DTS was superior to the 777 IMHO. Not by a bunch. There are more inputs on the Yamaha as well, namely digital coax. I actually prefer the electronic volume control over the Sony's manual one. My 2 year old has kept CRANKING it when it's off, and leaving it there. Needless to say, NOT GOOD. He has also "discovered" the motorized face panel, NOT GOOD. I paid $1031 delivered for the RX-V1. Hopefully, I can sell my 777 for close $. Thanks for the input everyone.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Where in gawds name can I get a RXV1 for a grand? Uh, on the internet anyway. The closest Tweeter store is 200-300 miles away.
:frowning:

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to add to my original thread. My Yamaha RX-V1 hit UPS yesterday. 75lbs of double boxed, factory sealed, factory authorized Yamaha BEAST. It was like Christmas in September! PERFECT CONDITION, and brand new. Whew! Well, I put that 61lb puppy in the rack & started the hookup. I optically ran my new Sony 400CD to it, and there it went. I thought, hmm, sounds no better than the Sony! As a matter of fact, a little weaker! So, I decided to actually look at the manual. I had my mains connected to the front speaker posts (effects). These only pump out 35 watts RMS. DOH! All I can say is WOW! Amazing what a correct speaker hookup can do, LOL. The receiver sounds more detailed, SLIGHTLY less warm with music than my Sony. The sound fits my preferences / setup better. I'm running Klipsch RP5's as mains, and I couldn't hear the detail on the Sony at low volume as well as the Yamaha. The remote is LAME, as was the $340 Sony RMTP-503 that comes with the 777. I'm going to get a RAV-2000 (tsu2000 Pronto, preloaded with ALL the Yamaha modes) instead. As far as HT goes, the Yammie pulls ahead clearly. SIMPLY AMAZING! Karate scene from The Matrix had my Wife & Kids nearly wetting their pants! The external build quality of this unit is the best I've seen as well. Tank like. The digital/rotary volume, coupled with a NON motorized front panel are perfect, as I have a 2.5 year old Son that can't keep his hands off! Can't say I blame him, me neither! I have a winner, especially at $1031 to my door!

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick,

One of the setup options you might want to take advantage of, after you are broken in to the V1, is the center-channel equalizer. Most center channel speakers do not sound the same as their alleged matched l&r's. The equalizer makes quite a difference.

Marty

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks