Should I make this switch?

Real Name
Bill D.
I'm putting together sort of a budget HT with the plan of upgrading in a couple years when I'm out of school. I currently have an older Sony 5.1 receiver, Acoustech H-100 sub, and two Bose 201 speakers. I've had the Bose for a while, and I bought them before I knew any better. I was thinking of selling my Bose speakers and picking up two pair of Insignia bookshelf speakers for the time being, and possibly a third pair for a center. If funds allow, maybe pick up the Acoustech center channel. I know it won't match, but it is shielded, at least, which could be an issue with my space requirements. What would you do?

Edit to Add: I'm trying to do this without pouring out any new money, just by selling the Bose. I should be able to sell them with the box and everything for at least the cost of 4 Insignias.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Have you listened to the Insignias? I would do that before making the decision, as you may find you like the Bose better (yes, I am serious...). On HUGE drawback with Bose - they don't have a decent center channel, period. The cube speaekrs are crappy, but the larger bookshelf models aren't totally awful. Now, the Acoustech center is not going to sound like these other speakers IMO, which could be an issue. I'd say skip the center for the time being and just do a 4.1 setup until you can afford a matching front end.

gab_

Stunt Coordinator
how much can you get for the bose? you could always get the infinity primus theater pack(I think it is 4 150's and a c25 center). I believe that goes for 299 shipped at vann's.

sorry if that blows the budget...I cant remember how much the insignia's cost.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Industrious