Should I keep my NHT SuperOnes or not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sergey M, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Sergey M

Sergey M Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,
    It's been a while since my last post... It's that time again. [​IMG]
    I'm thinking about finishing up a small HT setup upstairs in the master bedroom sitting area. I do have a set of two NHT SuperOnes. I was thinking of two options: [a] sell SuperOnes and get a HT 5.1 satellite speakers package or keep SuperOnes and get two more SuperZeros for surrounds, SuperCenter and some sub. Surrounds will have to be hanged on the wall. With the option , would I be better off with SuperZeros all around?
    My budget is about 700 but I think option is probably gonna be a bit more expensive, but that would depend on sub (any suggestions for a good small sub btw)? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

2. DaveW

DaveW Auditioning

I had 5 super zeros along with a good sub and it was fantastic! After several years I had the itch for something else and ended up buying large floor standers but to be honest I don't think it made much of an improvement. Like they say, "only buy your bass once" - get a SVS 25-31 sub to go with them and you will have a killer system for a very reasonable price!

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

The "Super" line is no longer around, so I would recommend just buying a new 5.1 setup, NHT or othewise. You probably won't get much for a used pair of SuperOnes, so why not just keep them around for extra. You never know where you might need them.

4. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

I would definitely go with the NHT setup. You can find great deals on Superzeros at Onecall and on Audiogon. I have a Superone XU in white that was used as a center channel with 2 others in the past. I have moved 2 of them to the rears in my system but I am willing to sell the one for $100 shipped and I could probably be coaxed out of all 3 for $300 plus shipping. They all have wall mounting brackets and are in perfect condition. Send me a PM if you are interested.

5. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

I just realized you are in Atlanta. You could com by my house and check them out if you like and hear them in my system. Let me know.

6. Phill O

Phill O Stunt Coordinator

You could sell them to me[​IMG]. I'll buy them for a reasonable price. Just send me a email.

7. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

Serge M, why not super ones all around? I have 3 super ones in use now as FR,C,Fl and will be using them as surrounds for a new 6.1 setup they are excellent speakers.

Eric A, I'm trying to find ceiling mounts for the Superones, what mounts are you using? I found the omnimounts RWX series but I'm not sure if they will screw directly into the built in thread in the superones, any suggestions?

8. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Phil,
    I will send you an email.

Alfonso,
    I am using the NHT brackets supplied with the Superones. I have the XU model which came supplied with brackets. Contact NHT directly and speak with Dave MacCallum at ext.212 and he can probably help you find the brackets.

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I would stick with the SuperOne, and see if additional SuperOne or SuperZero speakers can be located. The SuperOne is not only a great HT speaker for modest-sized rooms, but also an excellent inexpensive audiophile speaker. Power hungry, yes, but excellent sound.

10. Phuong

Phuong Stunt Coordinator

Stick with the NHT's. As for a subwoofer, the best affordable small sub is probably one of the velodynes, used. You could probably find a F1000 (14x14x14) for $400 or less on ebay or audiogon. It's a great woofer. Have had one since 1997. Awesome clean bass for its size. And it's sealed so you can place it closer to the wall. Good luck.

11. Sergey M

Thanks to all who replied. I'm keeping SuperOnes. [​IMG] I went ahead and ordered 2 more SuperZeros from OneCall. I wish I could find SuperCenter in stock. OneCall rep suggested using another SuperOne as a center speaker. May have to do that.
    Eric, thanks for the offer but I needed them in black.
    Phuong, thanks for the sub recommendation. I'll look that one up.

12. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I use 5 super ones with one at center only complaint is now my xover is 80 instead of 100 making them a little thin on the bottom.

13. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Just a suggestion but you can buy Supertwo's at a shop here in Iowa for $500 a pair, plus shipping and that would be a nice setup.

Nick L

14. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Sergey, I'd suggest getting another SuperOne for the center if you can fit it in your Entertainment center, on your TV, or where/how ever your setup is (don't know if you're using a TV wall rack or what not). I'm a strong beliver in if at all possible of matching the front three speakers for the L-C-R position if possible as the panning is smoother imho.

For a sub the Adire Rava, Diy, HSU, or an SVS would definitely be a great match for such a system.

15. Sergey M

Guy Usher, so you're saying your receiver's crossover is fixed at 80 and that's a problem with NHTs? So, if I were to get say Marantz's receiver with crossover fixed at 100, should I be fine then? Thanks.