Should I just get the Alien and Aliens SEs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, May 30, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I might be going to Best Buy tonight, and if either of these are still there, I was thinking about buying one of them now. I don't care about Alien 3 or Alien Ressurection, so I don't wanna spend the money on box set, because I don't care about having all 4. I had Alien and Aliens on VHS, but sold them due to shitty quality and them being in pan and scan. Is there a better version of either Alien or Aliens coming out? I heard about the Alien 5 star, but if the SE that's already out is packed and has a good quality picture, I won't worry about the 5 star, if it comes out.

2. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

I have no idea if better versions of Alien and Aliens are coming out. Future editions are just rumors at this point, from what I know.

That said, the current versions are oustanding. Excellent transfers, great extras, and with Aliens you get the extended version of the film. If you love the films, you'll be very happy with both of these DVDs (I certainly am).

3. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

I only have Alien 20th Anniversary Edition & Aliens SE with
    additional footage and as Jason has mentioned 2 great DVDs
    with lots of extras & good transfers.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I bought the box set because I liked them all. Of course, I only wanted the first two, but I actually liked 3 and Resurrection, while not as good as the others, still wasn't terrible and has great sound. I saw the box set selling for $60, which practically makes Resurrection free and you get the cool box for the set. [​IMG]

5. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I recently rented ALIEN and it convinced me to buy it, as I had forgotten how excellent a disc it is.

6. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

I have just the Alien and Aliens DVDs, since I also don't care much for 3 and 4. Both DVDs of the first two are wonderful and as far as I'm concerned represent the alpha and omega of the series.

7. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

http://register.foxhome.com/fh/newsl...2002/index.asp
    If you take the Fox survey, you can buy titles at 50% off. The Alien Legacy box-set is one of the titles available. Even though you don't want the final 2, you can still get the whole set for $42...a heck of a deal.
    Bruce

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I was tempted to pick up Aliens but if there is a 5 star version coming out then I will hold off on it.

9. Paul-Gunther

Paul-Gunther Stunt Coordinator

I can't imagine what they could put on a 5-star release that isn't on the current version. It's already got deleted scenes, commentary, isolated score with commentary, alternate isolated score, anamorphic widescreen, and some really kick ass menus. It's one of the best discs out there, IMO.

10. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

Thanks for that link Bruce. I'd never seen that before. Looks like I'll be getting that box set [​IMG]

11. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

Join Columbia House DVD club and you can get all 4 as enrollment selections. Buy 2 more at $20 each, your average price per DVD is about $10.

12. DanHaya

DanHaya Second Unit

I'd stay away from Columbia House, if I were you. Yeah, you'll get your 4-for-1 enrollment selections, but then you have to buy 4 more DVDs at regular price...and they charge more than most retail outlets!

The only way you really save money with any of those clubs is if you buy multiple selections at a time, which can get pretty expensive. Plus, they don't always get new releases right away...most of the time, you have to wait a month or two to even be able to order new titles. It's a waste of time and money, if you ask me.

As for the Alien movies, I'd get the box set. It may cost a little bit more, but it's worth it to have all 4 movies. Of course, I think we're all in agreement that 3 and 4 were not the best...but it's nice to have the whole series (at least until they get around to making Alien 5, that is).

--Dan

13. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Dan,

I tried to get regular prices out of columbia house by email and all I got was dvd's START at 19.99. My guess is that most are at least 29.99 and may be even higher for special editions. The will also send you directors cut dvd's all the time and charge your credit card, if you do not send it right back you are screwed. This is a total scam.

14. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    While the current Aliens is not a bad disk but I don't consider it a special edition by any means. I am interested in a 5[​IMG] of that one that has some decent extras, perhaps a dts soundtrack, and branching to the theatrical and director's versions.

15. DanHaya

DanHaya Second Unit

Neil,

Didn't Ridley Scott mention a while back that he was going to do some commentaries for some of his early work? Wasn't Alien one of those films? I would think that Fox would like to give Alien the 5-Star treatment.

I wouldn't count on a 5-Star "Aliens", given that it would need Jim Cameron's participation. That guy has turned into a huge egomaniac since "Titanic"...far worse than William Shatner could ever hope to be! lol

16. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Dan,

Alien does have a commentary by Ridley Scott.

17. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

Guys, check this link for Columbia House info. If you know how to work the system, it's the cheapest way to get DVD's (that I know of). I'm on my third account now, and some people have done it over 100 times. There's a membership code that gets you 5 for $0.49 and a 6th for $14.95. Then you buy 2 of the $19.99 DVD's and cancel your account. Average cost is $9.28 per DVD. When you're ready for 8 more DVD's, you join again.
    http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=107726

18. Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson Stunt Coordinator

Shhhh...don't let out the Columbia House secret [​IMG]
    Honestly guys, if you chose enrollment selections that are $19.99(and there are quite a few of them) you end up averaging under $10/movie.

19. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

I just read at DVDJournal that the ALIEN DVDs are going on moratorium.
    It has been announced at one of the internet sites (DVDFile?)that the one that started it all, ALIEN, will be getting a super deluxe 5-Star Edition, probably next year.
    As packed as the current edition is, Charles de Lauzirka has noted that there was still tons of stuff that they wanted to include, but couldnt.
    (and I hope that the special send-away-for disc doesnt count-it was nice-but nothing special.)
    We now thankfully have LEGEND-bring on the BLADE RUNNER and ALIEN SEs', please!

And, if PARAMOUNT has a clue,, they will release THE DUELISTS while Ridleymania is in full swing.