What's new

Should I just get a scaler for my Tosh 57HX84? If so which one? (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
As a few know from another thread I got a Toshiba 57HX84 a few weeks ago and when it receives a 720p signal I get a nice horizontal "ghost line" right accross the middle of the screen.

Well I finally got the ok to exchange it but I cannot seem to settle on a replacement. I was so disappointed with the tech test another HX84 model and it did the same thing. and there was no "fix". I love the look of it. Aesthetically it is among the nicest available in Canada. I had LOVED my Elite pro 710 and the Tosh was not as nice but heck the Tosh did not cost me the 10 Gs the Elite did years ago.

Picture is nice too. almost thought I felt a red push but not really. contrast a little hard to get just right but other than that I LOVE the picture. I go look at other CRT RPTVs and the contenders in the PQ category are the Hitachi and Sony. I am sure I would be happy with either one but I cannot get over the silver.

I have been considering fixed pixel RPTVs like Sony 42" LCD and Samsung DLP in the about the same price range but everytime I try to give it a chance all I see is pixels!!! I don't think I can do it.

Now I can't bring myself to keep a TV that is defective however the problem is only in 720p. At first I thought that was bad enough to justify the change when I realized what if I can scale everything to 1080i for the TV?

The problem is obviously the internal scaler because DVDs look great and if I have the cable box scale the 720p channels to 1080i the line is gone. Now if I get an X-Box or anything else that does 720 it might not have it's own scaler or a good one. WHat if I got an external scaler to scale everything I input to the set to 1080i?

Is a good scaler very cost prohibitive? Can I get one in the $500 range? or $1000? How much are we talking about? Is it worth it?

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Devil's advocate:

Why throw good money after bad, if you deem the TV to be defective? Buying an external scaler, in this case, sounds like an awfully expensive work-around.

I think you'd be better served upgrading your display first and foremost to something that you will be 100 PERCENT happy with.

The scaler is the bonus cherry on top of the sundae, after you're all finished. ;)

My $0.02. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Does the Toshiba actually display at 720p, or is it converting to 1080i internally first? If it's the latter, why not just set your source components to output 1080i and let each component do the conversion? That would avoid using the Toshiba to perform the 720p -> 1080i conversion.

My Toshiba does not support 720p, so this is how I handle HD sources. However, my 56H80 is 4.5 years old.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
My Toshiba 65H84 does not support native 720P. 480P and 1080I only. Try what Scott said.

Rolando

Screenwriter
thanks for the info guys.

yes it is displaying at 1080i after converting from 720p. Yes I can overide it like you suggested by ,aking the cablebox convert to 1080i but I figure eventually I might have a player or something that only does HD at 720p and then what?

but I agree, better just to get a set that does it right from the get go...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks