Should I hook up my dvd player through my Samsung SIR-TS 360 hdtv receiver?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeff Adams, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I am having hdtv installed today and saw that on the back of the Samsung DirecTv hdtv receiver that it has a 480i/480p input. I was told that it is to hook up your dvd player through. I was also told that it upconverts your 480i/480p signal to 1080i, is this true? And for those of you who have it hooked up like this, do you notice a better,same or worse picture than when it is hooked up directly to your tv? Why this is an issue is due to the fact that my hdtv only has 2 component inputs. I am actually looking for a good high bandwith video switcher but was wondering if this way will work good until I get one?

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

I briefly tried this. I thought the picture looked awful. I would not recommend it.

SMK

3. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Well I hooked up my dvd player through the Samsung receiver last night and thought it actually looked pretty good. It does look better hooked up directly to my tv but until I get a component switcher,this will just have to do.

4. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I want to take back my last statement. After watching a few more dvd movies I have now came to the conclusion that the picture actually looks pretty bad. I need to get a VERY good component video switcher.