Should I hold out for The Ring SE?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy*H, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Troy*H

Troy*H Stunt Coordinator

Hello, The Ring is one of my favorite horror movies. I would really want to buy it tommarrow but I am having a hard time shelling out 20 or so bucks for basically a bare bones disc. Has anyone heard about a se down the road or are we going to be stuck with this version. I really wish dreamworks would put out a se. Thanks for the info.

Troy

2. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

I highly doubt there will be an SE. The director said he didn't want to do a commentary or Making Of featurette as he didn't want to take away the mystery of the film.

BTW - It can be had at certain chains for around $15. Check out the Weekly Roundup in Coupons and Deals.

-paul

3. Troy*H

Troy*H Stunt Coordinator

The mystery of the film? Ahhh I don't know why but that just eats at me. Maybe I liked this film too much. By the way did you read that off of dvd.ign.com...cause I think I remember hearing something like that but I didn't think it came from the director.... That is such a shame.... I am actually to the point where I think I am not going to buy it just because that pisses me off so much( I am aware that One sale will not make a difference)Ahh anyway thanks for the info.

Troy

4. Tim Ke

Tim Ke Stunt Coordinator

I know Dreamworks' history of not re-releasing titles... but I have a sneaking suspicion this one will get an SE eventually. I can just feel it!

5. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Well the BBFC has passed a substantial amount of additional extras (mainly interviews) for the UK release:

Posted in Another Thread

(including 00:18:27:09 | GORE VERBINSKI, I guess he can't give to much of the mystery away in almost 20 mins can he? [​IMG] )

6. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Best buy has it for $15.99 if that helps [​IMG]

7. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I would buy it!

8. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

9. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I'm probably just going to rent it. With such a sparse amount of extras (surprising for Dreamworks) I just can't feel good about laying down $15 for it.

Also I am surprised if the directory really does want to "keep it all a mystery" considering that this movie is based off a series of Japanese films. Then again what are you going to say in a featurette? Here is how we took an unknown foreign film and translated it over into English? Probably not all that interesting.

Chris S.

10. Troy*H

Troy*H Stunt Coordinator

They could compare the differences between the Original and the remake, commentary, cast interviews, how they made the special effects...I could think of disk's full of material I would love and pay to see. I think until then I am holding out on buying this movie. By the way BB did have it for 15.99 and Ringu for I believe 25.99.

11. James Reader

Just like there's going to be over one and a half hours of interviews on the UK release!

I'm sure R1 will get a re-issue one day (when's Ring 2 due to hit the screens?)

12. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

What extras could you want? A director's commentary?

Gore Verbinski: "Ok, so this is The Ring. I just watched Ringu, and did everything the same. Except for horses, I like horses and put them in the movie. Now that I think about it, I really have nothing else to say about this film. Except you can expect to see The Ring 2 and The Ring 0 in theaters sometime or another."

PS: Don't forget the "cursed film" easter egg.[​IMG]

13. James Reader

Well Garrett, by that reckoning you wouldn't want any supplements for Steven Soderbergh's 'Ocean's Eleven' or 'Solaris', McTiernan's 'Thomas Crown Affair' or maybe the upcoming special edition of West Side Story "I just watch the stage musical and did everything the same" [​IMG]

Possibly even 'Lord of the Rings' "I just read the books and did everything the same. Except for the bits I didn't - because it's a movie" [​IMG]

14. Troy*H

Troy*H Stunt Coordinator

I heard that Ring 2 isn't going to follow the Japanese version. Any truth to this?

15. James Reader

I hope that's true. I don't think much to 'Ring 2'.

16. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

It should be noted that the DVD includes a specially prepared 15m short film which incorporates outtakes from the film. So, you could say that the DVD includes outtakes as a special feature, but they're not listed. So it's not really a bare bones release.

-paul

17. Roland G

Roland G Stunt Coordinator

i want a directors cut.... of The Ring

nothing more