Should I hold off on Buying?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew_S, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

I'm sure this going to be a big question for people who are looking into buying a directv/dish system. I am currently moving and the basic package for direcv ($31.99) is about 10 dollars cheaper than my local cable. Should I wait with all this merger mess? If not, what should i get? I want the free dish & installation package. Thanks.

2. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

The merger won't be approved or denied for about a year.
    My guess is that there won't be new equipment for the merged companies for at least 2 years.
    By then - merger or no merger - you will get a receiver for the same price that records 200 hours of programs, and you will want to replace whatever it is that you have now.
    So, do not take the "merger" into account, just buy a system that does what you want now, has the channels you want, for the best price.
    For example, currently, if you want "Buffy" or "Enterprise" on your dish system, you need to go with Dish Network. But, if you want that "NFL Season Ticket" that shows you all 16 NFL games every weekend for about $160 per year, then you need DirecTV (and same applies to NBA and MLB, ie for the games of teams other than your local teams.
    [Edited last by Ken Stuart on October 29, 2001 at 12:48 PM]

3. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

Thanks, Ken.
    I'm much more of a NFL Sunday Ticket kind of guy, so i guess I'll go with DirecTV.
    Follow up question:
    Is the $31.99 price a promotional price to try and get suckers like me to buy or is that their standard price now?
    [Edited last by Matthew_S on October 29, 2001 at 02:10 PM]

4. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

Matthew,
    I have been a DirecTV subscriber for 18 months and 31.99 is the standard price for the Total Choice pkg. Remember, tho', if you can get and want the locals where you live, that is additional $5.99. (And DTV should be adding UPN and WB stations to the loclal packages around the country after the 1st of the year.)
    Sorry to be dense, but what merger are you guys talking about?
    Deborah
    ------------------

5. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

Mattew,
    $31.99 is the regular monthly price. Plus a couple of bucks for an extra receiver and a couple of more bucks for local channels. My bill is about $43 per month, digital cable in my area was $52.
    Chad

6. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

Never mind the merger question -- found the answer.
    Deborah
    ------------------

7. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

How much does it add typically to do ultimateTV or directivo to these services?
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

8. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

DirecTiVo costs $10 per month for the TiVo service, and I believe there is a $250 lifetime subscription to TiVo available. I'm pretty sure that UltimateTV costs the same.
    I haven't used either receiver, but the user comments I've read indicate that UltimateTV is a good service, but that DirecTiVo is better.
    (There was a really great deal at Circuit City, where DirecTiVo receivers were being sold at $99 - evidently to sell off overstock, generate cash flow, etc. It's still possible that some local Circuit City stores might have one or two of these, so check it out. Activation is required, of course.)
    Best would be to try both yourself, or at least explore the features on the web site.
    Personally, I have Dish Network, since all the sports I watch these days are on Fox Sports World, and I do watch the superstations a lot (Enterprise, Buffy, Andromeda, E:FC). Dish Network's 501 PVR does not have the $10/month fee, although it is missing some of the more deluxe features of TiVo (such as always recording a program by program name).
    [Edited last by Ken Stuart on October 29, 2001 at 06:10 PM]