What's new

Should I hold off on buying initial release DVD's from Columbia/Tri-Star? (1 Viewer)

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I won't lie to you, before Bad Boys 2, Once Upon a Time in Mexico and Underworld came out on DVD, I was really hoping for a great DTS track with lots of extras and commentary tracks. However, this didn't exactly happen. I was so disappointed that these movies didn't get a DTS track and some didn't have commentary tracks.

Is it just me or are Columbia/Tri-Star initial first releases not worth the buy? Isn't it smarter to wait a while for a re-release of these movies as an SE/CE/Superbit?

I bought Bad Boys 2 because I just loved the movie and needed to watch it again ASAP. Underworld I bought in R3 because of it's amazing DTS track. I'm holding off on Once Upon a Time in Mexico because it has potential for a great DTS track (like Desperado: Superbit).

What are your opinions on this everyone?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Columbia does seem to have a pretty bad track record of releasing SEs and multiple editions of their films after the initial release.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
It's obviously a new intentional marketing technique to extend the sales of a new product. I'm seeing the same thing with CDs, this was previously unheard of, but now a CD is getting re-released 3-6 months later with new bonus tracks or a DVD.

Columbia probably has re-released nearly every major new release from the last 5 years, but what can you do? They know you want to own the movie when it's the 'freshest', meaning the day it comes out, and they know that a large percentage of those people will upgrade with the 2-disc director's cut comes out 4 months later.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

It would be a lot less aggravating if they'd announce ahead of time that they plan on releasing another SE or a Superbit DVD. What they're doing with Underworld is inexcusable.

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
I don't mind if they rerelease films with more extras or so, what really annoys me is there rereleasing of a DC (Ali, Underworld etc) I can live with a but less extras but changing the film is a more aggressive sales technique. The only film I managed not to buy before the SE came out is Panic room it was worth waiting but I don't wanna do that for every new DVD from CT.

Adam you are right, but I guess if they told us beforehand then there will me a minority that won't buy the first release (which they would have if they didn't know that an SE was on the cards) and it seems to me that CT are more interested in those few bucks than our respect. (Afterall they are just a company trying to make money not to please us)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Me personally I don't buy Columbia discs when they first come out. I always wait and my patience has been rewarded as such as of late. The only exception to this rule is if the cost of the disc is pretty low(like $7) or something along those lines then I might budge dependent on the release.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
They haven't released a Superbit in a long time and there have been no announcements for future ones. Even the rumors we're hearing of Spider-Man are of a 3-disc Deluxe edition --- "Superbit" not mentioned.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've bought whatever titles they do right immediately, since they might decide to take the widescreen versions out of print!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks