What's new

Should i have bought Criterion Dead Ringers dvd? (1 Viewer)

Raymond Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I was over at Borders today & came across this in the dvd section to my suprise. I think it's OOP now + have'nt seen a copy of this edition there or anywhere for a couple years,whenever it first came out.
But i didn't buy it for a few reasons...the price was $35 and thats all the money i had on me.....i'm doing my best & plan on NOT buying anymore dvds/cds ect for the next month or so,that way i can save up.
+ is a new SE ever being released or not?
Theres a small chance,they'll still have the copy later on as alot of Criterion titles can still be found there such as Monty Python Life of Brian,the Hitchock titles( i really want!) and most of there foreign titles,unless it's something like Armageddon,Lambs or the Woo films....most of the Criterions don't seem to sell there or they always have a extra copy lieing around somewhere.
I did buy this book Forbidon Films..detailing 125 censored/banned ect films throughout the years.....could'nt resist & the price was right,but other than that...i'm going to try my best...no more spending(except for gassing up my car) for the next month or so!

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
It is OOP. So far as I know, there's no SE version coming - Criterion simply lost the rights. Will this version increase in value as several other Criterion OOP's have done? Probably not - there was too much warning about its OOP status and there's too many out there.

If it's a film you want, then get it for that reason and not its (probably nill) investment value. But if you're marginal on it, I suggest holding off until you come across something you really want.

Raymond Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Well i'm not a huge fan of the film,but do like most Cronenberg films.
I only saw it a couple times once when i was a kid..didn't like it much,then recently on tv..found it alittle dull. Yet since i keep hearing good stuff about it.I'm considering giving it another chance,who knows i'll probably end up liking it?

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
As Warner Bros. seems to have the rights to the Morgan Creek catalog, this one might be reissued under the WB banner w/a 16x9 transfer.

I have the LD set, which also includes the short "Crimes of the Future" (not on the DVD), so I'm in no hurry to upgrade. But for the excellent commentary (Cronenberg's are fascinating) and the extras, this is well worth the $35.

Matt_Marlow

Stunt Coordinator
How is the "Crimes of the Future" short film? Is it worth tring to find the Criterion LD just because of that? I have the DVD and like it quite a bit, but I've always wanted to see "Crimes...".

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Crimes of the Future is interesting, but pretty slow-going (though it's John Woo-esque compared to the very boring "Stereo," which is only available as a bootleg); fans of Cronenberg's gore are likely to be disappointed by this very deliberately-paced piece, but it's fascinating thematically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks