What's new

Should I go with the Studio or Monitor Paradigm? (1 Viewer)

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
Well I'm looking into getting a home theater system. I have heard good things about Paradigm so I'm really considering getting them for my setup.

I'm skipping the rear speakers for now and just getting the main speakers, sub, receiver and center.

Would it be wise to get Studio 20's or should I go for some Monitors in the same price range?

I'm thinking SVS PC sub used (it doesn't need an outside AMp right?), Paradigm Studio 20's and probably the CC 370 center speaker. I'm not sure how much I should spend on a Reciever right now. I'm trying to keep the budget at 1500.

I'm going to try to use my second PC as the DVD player and jukebox. Not sure what else.

What I really just wanted to know is if I should go with Studi 20's or Montiors (i'm assuming I can get bigger monitors for the same price range)?

Thanks

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
I've also been looking into PSB speakers a bit. What do you all think of those?

Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you can afford studios + stands and you already have plenty of clean amplification, I would say Studios. What will be driving the speakers?

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
If I understand correcly wouldn't the receiver be driving the speakers or is a receiver not required if I were to use a PC in my HT setup?

Also one more question for now, if I were to skimp out on something to start with should it be the sub or center speaker (if I'm already waiting to get the rears later).

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I say go for the Studios, but the choice is really up to your ears. I started out with the Mini Monitors and was going to upgrade to the 9s or 11s. When I went to demo, they threw in the Studio 40s and I fell for them. The overall sound quality just seemed so much better. More detailed. As for the sub or the center channel, don't skimp on the center channel. It is an integral part of the viewing experience. You want good, crisp, clear dialog. The Studio CC is fantastic.

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
I'm buying in pieces so its really more like which order should I buy it in?

I haven't quite figured out if I still need a reciever if I have a HTPC but I probably do.

I guess I will go with the Studio 20's for now and mabye get the 40's later on for mains and move these to the back.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMO, mains and a good sub, then center, then rears.

I can't help you completely on the HTPC. Something needs to do the processing to provide channel information to the amps, so it isn't as simple as plugging a soundcard into an amp (obviously depends on your soundcard's output capabilities).

Starting with 20s sounds like a good idea.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I would go mains and sub, then rears, then centre. The Studio 20's will do an excellent job of imaging, so you should be able to run a phantom center with great success. The surrounds, on the other hand, will add great depth to the DD or DTS soundfield.

Also, depending upon the volumes you intend to use them at, you might be initially happy running without a sub. Sure, you won't get that deep deep bass, but you will probably still enjoy your movies and music! In that case, I'd go main, rears, sub, center.

Best of luck,
Martin.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i would personally go with the Studio 20's and a nice subwoofer. i think you could do even better subwoofer-wise with the Adire RAVA (www.adireaudio.com) than with anything Paradigm makes in your price range. when more $$ comes available later, add the Studio CC, and then a pair of Studio 40's (or larger) for mains (move the 20's to the rear).
as far as your other questions go, yes you will need a receiver. dont skimp here because you will need good clean power for the 20's (although not necessarily alot of it for them because Paradigms tend to be rather efficient). budget ~$500 or so for a receiver. look at the Marantz, Onkyo, and Denon lines, as well as the Outlaw 1050 (www.outlawaudio.com).
i can help somewhat in the HTPC realm since that's the way i'm going right now, however there is a dedicated section on this forum dedicated to HTPC. all you need is a soundcard with a digital output and a video card with a TV-out.
my SBLive Value+ card has a 1/8" digital plug that comes with an adapter to standard RCA coax digital. run that to your digital-in on the receiver. just make sure that, in the options of your DVD playback software, you select 'digital out' or 'SPDIF output' so it knows to use the digital output. my GeForce2 video card has an s-video output on the back that could connect to a TV, but i watch movies on my computer monitor. some cards will just have a composite connector. hope i answered all your questions-- good luck!

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
Ah yes, phantom center I forgot about that. Is that just how you setup the speakers or is it actually an option on some receivers?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
"phantom" is a setting that will redirect the center information to the mains (basically telling the processor you have no center). Every receiver I've owned in the last 10yrs, including my old Pro-logic unit, had this option.

james e m

Second Unit
I would say don't go with the Studios, go with the version 3 Monitors. Only because Paradigm is changing the Studio line in Oct. so the v2 Studios may not be timbre matched to the Studio v3. The Monitor v3 are just coming out, so you should have a couple of years to buy the Monitors all around. Also the Studio v3 series will be going up in price. I have the Monitors, and although the Studios are better speakers, the Monitors are still GREAT SPEAKERS.
James

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Between the Studios and Monitors, definitely choose the Studios if your budget allows for it. There's a lot more refinement in both sound quality and build than the Monitor line. I've never been a fan of the Monitors.

However, consider the PSB Stratus line also. The Stratus Mini is the best bookshelf speaker I've heard below $1000. It throws out a huge soundstage, and its imaging is even more precise than the Stratus Goldi imho. It definitely doesn't go as loud, as low or as dynamic as the its other Stratus siblings though.

Kal

Agent
James e m wrote:
"I would say don't go with the Studios, go with the version 3 Monitors. Only because Paradigm is changing the Studio line in Oct. so the v2 Studios may not be timbre matched to the Studio v3. The Monitor v3 are just coming out, so you should have a couple of years to buy the Monitors all around. Also the Studio v3 series will be going up in price."
James - where'd you hear about the new Studio line coming out in October? Everyone at Paradigm seems to refute the fact that there is a new line of Studio's coming out... including Bill VanderMarel, Paradigm's director of Sales and Marketing. He was a recent special guest (June 23, 2002) at the AVS forum and was asked quite a few times about upgrades to the Studio line in the near future. While he stated that they're constantly looking to upgrade their speakers, he stated that nothing's planned for the time being as far as the studio line's concerned.
See here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=134959
Who knows though... if they were going to be revamping the whole line in a couple of months then they probably wouldn't say as they wouldn't want to reduce sales of the existing models. But if the price is to go up significantly, announcing the new line (at possibly x2 the price) may make people go out and buy up the current line...
Supposedly some Paradigm distributor mentioned a new Studio line at x2 the price, but reading and talking to more people seemed to indicate the information's completely false.
Kal

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
All good advice, but let's look at the initial post.
Well I'm looking into getting a home theater system.
Certainly that would suggest to me you want to move into 5.1 as soon as practical.
I have the M-11's with the 370, and Minis at the back. In three weeks I'll have the ADP 370-s, a dipolar speaker on the sides.
Keep the front three speakers the same... you mention the 370 with Studios, but not specifically the Studio CC... if/when you go that route, be sure the Center matches.
If you were starting with Music as a large portion of your listening, I would start with the Studios, then the Center, then the Rears.
I suggest the best way to start though, would instead be to purchase your front soundstage, and rears. Add the sub either before or after the rears (personal preference).
The Monitor 9's will give you a little more bass at sacrifice of midrange. I had those for two months, and moved to the 11's. The imaging of the 11's in stereo is amazing, you would swear the center is on in two channel.
A new or used SVS is a good choice.:D (have the 20-39 PCi myself)
Now for something really worth looking at... The ADP 370's at the rear, (V'3 though!) allow for filling forwards and behind if set in the corners at 45 degrees.
Later, down the road, if you really want to upgrade, the Frontstage can be upgraded. Most dealers have a trade in program or you will get most of your money back on eBay (or here!), if sold used.

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
THe Studio 20's are definitely better for music than the monitors. In my opinion for HT I don't think that the extra expense is warranted. So if music is important to you then the 20's are the way to go. But if the majority of your usage will be for HT then mini monitors will work well for you.

The cc370 is part of the monitor line so if you go for studios then you will not be happy with the 370, you'll need to get the studio center. This will mean more dollars for your center.

james e m

Second Unit
Kal...
I read those posts over at AVS, in fact I was asking some of the questions. But to make a long story short (I have to go back to work) it has been rumored here (do a search for Studio v3) and at other forums that the Studio line change will happen in October. Of course mum's the word from Paradigm, for obvious reasons. I also had conformation from my dealer, who knows his stuff, that indeed the Studio v3 will start showing up in the fall and he said the price will be going up.
James

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
Well I'm going to be using mainly for HT, I do'nt think my budget warrents for the studio line so I guess I"ll just got with the Monitors.

Is there a big difference between the different versions of monitors?

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
Is 618 a decent price for used Monitor 7 and Center speaker CC-350 (version 1)? Thats shipped.

Kal

Agent
James e m wrote:
"Kal...
I read those posts over at AVS, in fact I was asking some of the questions. But to make a long story short (I have to go back to work) it has been rumored here (do a search for Studio v3) and at other forums that the Studio line change will happen in October. Of course mum's the word from Paradigm, for obvious reasons. I also had conformation from my dealer, who knows his stuff, that indeed the Studio v3 will start showing up in the fall and he said the price will be going up."
Thanks James! I still have my doubts, but personally I hope you're right! I've been wanting to update my speakers for some time now and the Studio 100v2 + Studio CC center were the ones I was eyeballing. I'd love to be able to pick up newer versions in the fall even if they are considerably more money.
Kal

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks