Should I go to XP?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PatB, Feb 6, 2003.

1. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

I'm running Win 98SE right now. Everything works smoothly 90% of the time. I have 256 DDR RAM and a P4 1.7.
    Do I do it? Do I leap into the 21st century like everyone else or do I stick with what's working?
    What should I expect and look out for if I make this change.
    I'm bad with decisions so I'm looking for some good advice.

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    After using XP and going back to win98 on my bro's (P166MHz) and my dad's (Celeron 433MHz), im so glad i use XP.

Win98 seemed just WAY too buggy compared to XP. XP is like FLAWLESS 90% of the time imho. No crashes, no hardware conflicts, nothing i used to go through with Win98.

I'd recommend it, since your computer is sure fast enough to run it smoothly.

3. Cameron_Peck

Cameron_Peck Stunt Coordinator

I would add some more memory. XP is a memory hog. I use XP and I don’t know if I could go back.

4. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I agree with the above. Drop at least another 256MB in there and go with XP. I love it...

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Absolutely, positively, maybe[​IMG]

No, really, try it, I love it.

Brent
    Never had any problems with sign up either.

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I've said before that Windows XP is nothing more than Windows 2000 on steroids with some of the typical Microsoft fluff added on to make it seem like there's some value add. That with the fact that Windows 2000 is more mature will always make me favor 2000 over XP.

However, Windows XP now has at least one service pack out there, so it's probably six-of-one, half-a-dozen-of-the-other.

I still have an ethical problem with the "activation" in XP, but that can be ... er ... remedied. [​IMG]

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I have 256MB of DDR ram, and its not too slow on my XP1700+, so if you're low on $, you can hold out on the ram. If you have the money, by all means get that extra stick of ram

8. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

That was an issue indeed, I didn't want to have to spring for the extra ram right now.
    Is the activation thing really an "issue"?

9. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

10. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

The activation is certainly not an issue and I would worry about your Ram. 256 is more then enough to do almost everything that you could possibly want to do. When you have more money it wouldnt hurt to get another 256mb chip especially condidering the price on Ram right now.

I liked Windows 98SE a lot but XP IMHO blows it away. I use Windows 2000 at work and experience Zero problems with it as well, but if I had my choice I would be using Windows XP pro here too. The features it has like picture resizing (Power tool add-on), copying direct to CD (for supported burners), & file/folder sharing.

KyleS

11. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah :b

Wouldn't worry...

13. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

"I still have an ethical problem with the "activation" in XP, but that can be ... er ... remedied."

I don't like it either John. Would you mind sending me a PM with your remedy?

14. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

512MB is what Xp needs to start hitting it's stride. With 256MB there will be slowdown. Ram is so cheap right now anyways.

-Dave

15. bsnelson

bsnelson Auditioning

I'm solidly in the "Why use XP when there's Windows 2000" crowd. I just don't see what XP has to offer me that makes me want to upgrade. Fast user switching? Who cares! Remote desktop? pcAnywhere/VNC/others.

Brad

16. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer