What's new

Should I go see Rush tonight? (1 Viewer)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Saw these guys at the Hollywood Bowl on Tuesday night, and they were nothing short of astounding. I took my best friend, who was only a casual fan, at best, and he'd never seen them live before. He came out with his jaw on the floor. "They don't sound anything like that on their albums" was the first thing out of his mouth. I chuckled because of the rep the boys have for mimicking their records. This is the 9th time I've seen them, on 7 different tours, and it was by far the hardest rocking, most technically impressive, and best show overall. Neil brought the wood in a big way, Dirk was in fine voice, and Lerxt was on fire. If anyone is still on the fence about seeing 'em, this is the summer to do it. They flat-out rocked!

mackie

Supporting Actor
I agree. I saw them a month or so ago and this was my favorite of the three shows of theirs I've seen.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
BTW, I'm not a drummer (I'm a guitarist), but anyone who thinks Peart can't play jazz, particularly big band, needs to go see this man. As John Bonner said, Neil Peart is worth the price of admission.

Bren_Chris

Stunt Coordinator
Peart by his own admissions over the years has barely any affinity for real jazz, let alone any desire to play it. He was more taken, in the '70s, by the Weather Report style of backbeat fusion, which is great in itself but has little to do, in the drumming department, with classic jazz. As for Rich, he was an athlete, a showman, eh? He gets pointed to by a lot of rock listeners as the epitome of jazz drumming, and that couldn't be more errant. I wouldn't expect him to play with the interactivity and sensitivity of a Tony Williams, Roy Haynes, Joe Chambers, or Jack Dejohnette. Or even Elvin. (No wonder so many rock drummers namedrop Rich as a matter of course - 'cause he's got the thing that perks a lot of rock ears: obvious chops.)

But back to Mr. Peart and jazz: It's as simple as the difference between triple and duple meter. I.e., can Neil swing? And can he improvise?

Does this matter? Of course not. Neil's outstanding at what he does. He's one of the most creative rock drummers ever. I would never hold him in the same regard as someone like DeJohnette, but that's because their musical goals and procedures are completely different.

Anyway, why not go see Rush? The days of popular, accomplished rock bands like that are waning. Catch 'em while you still can.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit

Exactly. This is their 30th year anniversery, and even though these guys still play with power and vitality, their time is limited. See them while you can! I've seen this tour twice now, and it was fantastic. I liked the Vapor Trails tour better, but they were coming back from a 6 year break that many thought was then end, and that really gave the VT tour some power.

There is no other rock band out there that has consistantly produced interesting music for so long. Sure the Stones and the Dead are still touring (what's left of them), but when was the last time they produced anything interesting? The 80's? Rush has 17 studio albums under their belt (and 5 live), each one unique and experimental relative to their past. Not all of their experiments work, but they still keep trying to keep their music fresh. They don't rely upon proven formulas, or comfortable, familiar musical territory.

Too much attention is given to their technical prowess. Rush is no Dream Theater; Rush has actually written songs you can sing along with, songs that stick in your head, songs that move you with their longing or their grief, and inspire you with their lyrical insights.

And not to knock Ringo, but come on! Ringo's choices are more interesting than Peart's? One particular fill at the end of Ticket to Ride is more interesting than every single choice Peart has made in a 30 year recording career? Are you sure about that? The use of African, Korean, Japanese, Caribean drum styles in rock music isn't that interesting to you? It's okay to make hyperbolic statements for the fun of it, but if you're going to intend these statements to be literal, then at least know what it is you're criticizing. Go out and buy all 17 albums, listen to them side-by-side with Ringo's "phenomenal" Ticket to Ride drum fill, and come back and say it with straight face. Your opinion is silly, my friend.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I think it's ironic that some of the people that criticise Rush for being too "technical" then pick on what they consider to be technical weaknesses. As a Rush fan who's known plenty of other Rush fans, we don't sit around picking apart every stupid little drum fill (except musicians, who do that with any band). We just dig the music- I know, how silly of us.

I've come to accept the ridiculous Rush slams as part of the fun. The only "objective" criticism of Rush that is true is that Geddy's voice is not going to appeal to some, and that's fine. As a fan of Springstein, Dylan, and Young, I know that this, too, is not unique.

Anyway, as for the urgency of seeing them live, I think they've been implying that this may be their last tour. I wouldn't be surprised. I think the album and tour serves as a personal catharsis for them, but I wouldn't be surprised if they become a studio-only band from now on.

Leroy

Second Unit
Have any of those that are debating Peart's drumming given a listen to this:

It's produced by Neil and features a who's who of drummers paying tribute to Buddy Rich. Although he's only featured on one track, it was during this time that Neil switched to a more traditional style of drumming, which can be seen and heard(on material from Counterparts and on) throughout the live show as he switches techniques.

Oh..and back to the tour discussion...I still can't get those Jerry Stiller clips out of my head..too funny!! :D

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
But I'm not saying that Ringo is better, or greater, or comparing him with Neal Peart as a person, or Rush as a thing, or whatever it is. You know, I just said what I said, and it was wrong, or it was taken wrong, and now it's all this. ;)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
N-e-i-l.

Sounds like some of us could stand to check out Neil's A Work In Progress.

Chad, you've yet to come back and check in on the 'monster' you've created. :) I second Rob's query at the end of his post #20: did you go?

Btw, I've seen them at least twice on every tour since 1987. They are phenomenal live and this past Tuesday night at the Hollywood Bowl was no exception.

God it was great to hear "Between the Wheels."

-p

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Paul.S

You beat me to it. :emoji_thumbsup:

I was going to thank Jan H for being the first person to spell The Professor's name right.

BTW, for anyone interested, I have pix from the Seattle (Auburn) gighere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks