Should I go floorstanding?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stone, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm gonna upgrade something in the HT this summer, and have been trying to decide what. Currently I have the Energy Take 5...and I don't want to dump a crap-load of money and replace all the speakears (plus, I really like the Take 5). I was considering going floorstanding for my fronts. I figured I could get a much more "full-bodied" sound image that way. Could someone explain the advantages/disadvantages (namely price) of floorstanding speakers.

Also...recommendations would be nice. Keep in mind, I'm a cheap bastard and I don't want to end up spending a whole bunch of money.

Thanx for the help guys!

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

What is your budget for main channel loudspeakers? How big is your room? Any major placement restrictions? What amplification will you be using? What %HT/music? Generally I recommend that users buy the "best" main channel loudspeakers that they can afford, and add on from there.

3. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

I like the sound of large moniters and floorstanding speakers the best. YOu will get a better sound with larger speakers, and they look cool.

However, when you do buy, make sure later on you can upgrade the center to something voiced matched to your mains. The center is the most important part of an HT setup.

Mabey you should upgrade the Center to something BIG. Like the Klipsch RC7!?

I would recomend Klipsch RF3's, but I know JBL, polk, and paradigm moniter seris has some great speakers for the money. (paradigm being the best of them)

4. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

IMO, the main advantage of floorstanders vs. sat-sub for the front 2 speakers is for music. Correctly integrating satellites and a sub for music is a skill I have yet to master, which is why I have my floorstanding mains set for "large". For movies it's less critical to have it just right, but for music it's essential. A correctly configured sat-sub setup takes a big load off of your amplification, because the amp/receiver no longer has to drive the bass that the sub now takes care of. The problem, at least for me, is how to get that perfect configuration.

If you're satisfied with your sat-sub setup then don't waste the money on floorstanders, but if you think that even your most optimally calibrated sat-sub setup is lacking (my experience) then definitely take a look at floorstanders.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

The room is small (8x15) ...and I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade speakers or TV. Could you guys gimme some links to online stores or reviews of these speakers so I can see pricing and specs.

I'd say 80/20 HT/Music...and my budget is questionable right now. I'd like to keep it around 500-600, if possible. The problem is that I'm a poor college student...hehe. I probably won't buy anything till May...and I've narrowed it down to a widescreen tv or some sort of speaker upgrade. I've only got 100 watts per channel on my Sony DB800, so that's what I'm working with. At this time it's really just a fact-finding venture...comparing prices, specs, etc.

Once again...thanx all for the help.

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I was just looking around at Floorstanders in my price range, and I came across the Paradigm Phantom . They get pretty good reviews at AudioReview, and they look like what I want to go for. Any opinions?