should i get this lexicon mc1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce.sb, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Bruce.sb

Bruce.sb Extra

Hey everyone -- i wanted to run this by you guys to get your opinion. I have a chance to get a new lexicon mc-1 still in the unopened box for around 2k. The unit was purchased about a year ago but the home theater was never built. The problem is the unit wasnt upgraded to the v4 software, cause i guess that came out within the last year-- but othere then that the unit is being sold as brandnew never opened and the warrenty was never sent in so i would be able to send it in and get the full warrenty. So my question is-- is this a good deal? Is upgrading the software hard? And does all this smell ok?--Ill be able to go look at the unit before i get it--the guy is semi local-- and he said i could get the serial code fromt he box to contact lexicon and make sure all is on the up and up-- any advice would be great --thanks.

2. Philip Brandes

Philip Brandes Stunt Coordinator

V4 upgrade has been out a lot longer than a year. It costs $300 for the upgrade, so you should try to negotiate a reduction for the cost of that.

About the only advantage to an unopened unit is that if the MC-1 is truly new/unopened, it will be eligible for a trade-in towards Lexicon's upcoming processor.

One way to verify this is to get the serial number and call Lexicon--they can tell you if the unit has been previously traded in (in which case it's obviously not brand new).

Good luck,
    Philip Brandes

3. Gregory Scott Bass

Gregory Scott Bass Stunt Coordinator

You should also be sure that you have no interest in scad or dvd-audio..I'm not sure if lex is gooing to update the software to support newer surround formats..as good as the mc-1 is it is very outdated at this point. Scott

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I agree with GSB.

Get the Lex if you can afford it, and if you don't mind it not having 5.1 analog passthrough for DVD-A, SACD. I would have, but the lack of a 5.1 passthrough was a deal-breaker for me.

But Logic 7 might make up for it, depending on how the music/movie balance is in your useage. (Me, 80% music, 20% movies.)

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Bruce

The MC1 sounds like a good deal. All most always the warranty starts from the date of purchase. You will need the original receipt to establish the original purchase date.

As for SAC-D and DVD-A, that wouldn't stop me for a minute getting a new MC1 for $2,000+.

Artie

6. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Bruce, you can pick up the MC-1 with V4 for 2K. I bought one 6 months ago and they sent me the wrong unit without V4 so they called Lex and they sent me the V4 chip. The chip is still in the box. Logic 7 is much better the Ex.I had the Ref 30 so I know IMO how ES and EX sound. Logic 7 beats them hands down. Look around I think you can pick up the Mc-1 for 2k with V4.

Good Luck,
    Steve

7. TomK

TomK Stunt Coordinator

Bruce,
    Get the Lexicon and have it upgraded. The Lex is a wonderful unit. As far as DVD-A and SACD you can add a unit like the Sony P9000ES to bypass the Lex and act as a PrePro for those. I have the combination, it's great. I have my Pronto to handle all the switching.
    Check this link:
    Tom

8. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

The lack of the analog bypass for DVD-A and SACD was never a concern for me when I bought my Lex. The unit is so great..love the Logic 7 (maybe one day they will finally agree upon a digital connection with some sort of copyright protection...then you won't have to worry).

As far as I know there is not much difference between the Ver 4 and Ver 1...just EX/ES processing and a 2 second delay in turning of the front panel display...as for improved processing for Logic 7 or other modes, the ver 4 does not enhance anything else.

The other thing you should think about, is that, if you are buying the MC-1, because you mostly use your system for home theater, then you should not worry about the DVD-A/SACD compatablility. Buy the unit and enjoy. Definitely try to get a discount of $200 to $300 since it is not a version 4 though.

Who knows, by the time you actually get a DVD-A/SACD player and that there are enought titles of the music that you listen to, you probably will trade in the MC-1 for the MC-12 or "baby MC-12."

9. PaulXH

PaulXH Stunt Coordinator

By all means you should be able to find a MC-1 V.4 for 2K. I paid $2,050 for one new in the box. As for the SACD and DVD-A, checkout the lexicon web page, the MC-8 is out. And Lexicon allows you to trade your older unit in for the new one. I have not heard how much it will cost or how much they will do on a trade in. I have had my MC-1 for about 2 months now and I would not own anything but a Lexicon!!!

Paul

10. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

What about a rebadged MC1 with V4.0, new with 2 year warranty for about $1850 plus shipping? I've been in contact with this audiogon/ebay seller about this and other JBL Synthesis products. If I didn't already have my MC1, I'd be all over this. Search the completed ebay auctions under Lexicon and you'll see his auctions and 35+ reviews. The S650A 130x5, 80 lb amp for $1100 (retail 4k) looks pretty sweet too. Seller seems to have multiple units of prepros and amps. Would not qualify for Lexicon trade-ins.
    http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...roc&1046889173