What's new

Should I get these speakers? (1 Viewer)

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Okay iam looking into some new speakers for my home theater. I can get a pair of celestion F30 speakers for 500 canadian (regular 700) but I have no clue if they are reall any good. Here is the info posted on the celestion website:
F30

A full sized three way floorstander with outstanding bass performance thanks to the two 130mm PP-coated bass/midrange drivers complement the 19mm titanium dome tweeter for an excellent attention to detail. The F30 delivers both theatre and pure hi-fi enjoyment way beyond what it costs.
Type 3 way / bass reflex

Tweeter Titanium dome 19 mm (3/4")

Bass/ Midrange 2 x 130 mm (5 1/4") PP-coated driver

Frequency Range ( ±2dB ) 55 Hz - 20 kHz

Crossover frequency 3.5 kHz

Power handling 120 Watts

Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 90 db

Impedance 8 Ohm

Magnetic Shielding Yes

Weight 13 kg (28.6 lbs)

Dimensions (H x W x D) 900 x 198 x 272 mm35.4 x 7.8 x 10.7"

If anyone can tell me if they are worth the money please say so. Also should I by two pairs one for the front, and one for the back? I have no clue about speakers so I really need some help

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I do not think you should buy a speaker that you think might have problems just because its on sale and then consider buying a sub to fix that possible problem...it would be best to audition speakers until you find one that sounds great to you. A subwoofer is not a band-aid for problems in your mains. It is designed to extend and increase the output of low freq's WITHOUT affecting the output of the mains, or at least blending with it.

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Okay. Iam not a huge audiophile or whatever so I probably wont notice huge differences. Also either way Iam buying a new sub also. I figured a three way tower speaker for that price must be decent, atleast better than two way right?

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Okay. Iam not a huge audiophile or whatever so I probably wont notice huge differences. Also either way Iam buying a new sub also. I figured a three way tower speaker for that price must be decent, atleast better than two way right?
No. You do not have be a "huge audiophile" to notice differences between a good speaker and a mediocre one.

No. A "three way tower" is not an automatic "must be decent". Most "terrible" speakers out there are three way towers.

And no. A three way is not necessarily better than a two way, any more than a four way is better than a three way.

Best regards.

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
So can you give me any further advice now that I know that is true? Perhaps some good brand names that are terribly expensive yet still sound really good?

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
If you are going to buy a sub, and i think you should...look for a 2-way. Its the KISS thing...keep it simple...the less drivers the better....anyway...what is your budget american for the 2-ways and folks will toss you there opinions.

Mark gas

Second Unit
I bought a pair of celestion bookshelfs one model lower than the towers from A&B and I also bought a pair of Athena book shelfs fro FS both for under 200 a pair. The celestions are goog speakers but have no lowend and if you were to get a sub you hould have to cross it prwetty high. Also the tweeter sliurs the s a lot. The Athenas have more bass but there tweeter does not seem to play as high. After listening to them both I returned the celestion becase I could not stant the syllabus ( the slurring of the s) so I went with the Athena's. FS snd A&B both have good return policies so I would buy them both and keep the one that sounds best, and you will hear the difference side by side.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
So can you give me any further advice now that I know that is true? Perhaps some good brand names that are terribly expensive yet still sound really good?
Reid:

Just to clarify. I was NOT knocking Celestion speakers. I have heard of them and they have been around for a while, I just don't know much about them.

I was just trying to explain my opinion regarding your previous comments regarding being an audiophile in order to appreciate good sound and the realities of 2 way VS 3 way speakers.

I agree with others in this forum that recommend listening to speakers before buying.

Good luck and best regards.

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I think you need to make a plan, and break down your budget into what you want to spend on what. I would say 700 for fronts, 300 for center, and again 600 for sub, and 200 for for rears. This is enough money to get very good sound, but you need to try and go listen to speakers and if possible systems in your price range. The SVS sub should be high on your list and maybe try and find some psb rear minis on ebay or something....IMO you could buy those without listening. Then you need to listen to front/center speakers and see what you like..I would put Monitor Audio B&W PSB and Paridigm on your short list here. Celestion as well (after reading the name here in the topic)...they make GREAT speakers. One thing to try and do is match the tweeter identically in the front 3 speakers. FOR's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks