1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Should I get the Infinity HTS 20 package?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lanny_B, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

I'm pretty new to all this. I just got back from Circuit City, and I was about sold on getting the Infinity HTS 20 package (you can see a link to it here).
    But, the one response I've gotten about them is that they are just okay, and I should try some JBL speakers. I did a search for the infinity's, and haven't found anything. Maybe I'm searching under the wrong thing.
    Anyway, the speakers at the store are $569.00. For that price, should is there something else I should go with instead? I was about to go in and pick them up in a day or so, but I'll wait and order them on the internet if that would be the smarter decision. Any tips or thoughts on these speakers would be great.
    Thanks.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

$569 ($600)
    Look at JBL at JandR.com, etc.
    N24 $120 a pair, shipped.
    N26 $150 a pair shipped.
    N28 $130 a pair, shipped - Best deal
    Look here
    Add a Center -
    S center 2 $180
    N center (Best match for the N series, I think..) $99
    And a sub - Sony's SA-WM40 is as good as the Infinity, and can be had for ~ $150 on the net.
    So -
    N28 x 4 = $260
    N Center 2 = $100
    Sony Sub = $175?
    Killer set that may be better than the Infinity. Larger, though. I've never heard the infinity, and I'm just going on appearance / reputation. There's a reason you can't find too much info on the HTS20 kit, no rave reviews. The JBL's though have a really good rep.
    If I had $500 of my friend's cash to spend, there it goes.
    Good Luck.

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I gota go with Collin on this one!
    The ~{JBL's with Sony Sub}~ will all round kick the **** out of the much smaller sized Infinity set up you mention.
    And, I am NOT a JBL fan!
    Unless (you have a need) for very small speakers????
    Even then, you can do better than the Infinity set up your looking into.....
    Just one all in one option if our need is for small speaks....
    (Acoustic Research HC-6) I belive is the model number, small, attractive and very good reviews. Gloss Black pianio finish. Small in size like the Infinity your currently looking into.
    I have listened to the AR HC-6 all in one speaker system (4-speaks center & sub) playing off an H/K 520 in a less than optimal room. I must say I was shocked with it's quaility of sound. This was some time ago when it first hit the stores. For a (small room) I would be quite pleased with it's performace. Not that it won't sound fine in a med to larger room, we just have to consider spl levels. Referance spl levels aint gona happen with either the Infinity or AR all in one systems! In the smallest of rooms they might approach it in all but the last octave.
    Remember, you might have to add for Stands and or Mountng Brackets also! More dollars depending on what brand you choose (some brands come with stands or brackets). This all depending on where you plan to put your mains and rear speaks.
    Just my 2 cents worth, no more no less....[​IMG]
    Regards
    Geoff

4. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

So, would you say the Sony WM-40 is also a better sub than the one included in the infinity set? And would that one be better than getting the JBL PB12 that comes with this set?
    Right now I'm trying to figure out the difference between buying the JBL NSP1 set (that is just a set, right, not the name of the speakers?) and buying each JBL speaker individually. Does that JBL set include some of the same speakers that Colin listed, or does that set have speakers only made for that set?

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

You will have to let the JBL boys here, (and theirs plenty of them to) help clear up your specific JBL speaker questions.
    The Sony Sub (at it's price point) around 150.00 is considered to be the winner in the price to performance ratio.
    Your sub question:
    Is the Sony Sub better than the one in the JBL speaker package or the Infinity speaker package?
    I'd say that it's *Better* than the one in the *Infinity* package,,,, BUT as to the JBL,,, again the JBL boys will have to step in on this......!
    I'd guess, and it's not good to guess, but the JBL is probley the better sub..
    Did you look into the AR HC-6?
    Can be found much cheaper than the 799.00 retail.
    Another you might consider is the ~{Energy Take 5.2}~
    Regards
    Geoff
    AR HC-6 review

6. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

One of the reasons you won't find much press is b/c those speakers just weren't priced right for a long time. The best test for all speakers is to play music on them even if they are surrounds.
    The JBL rec above is an excellent one. The JBL has a very nice clean sound in it's price range. I have never listened to the two side by side. I like the Infinity HTS 20 setup. It's dynamic, not transparent. You have to decide which you prefer, b/c the JBL's are dynamic speakers which call for your attention as well. You need the sub for both and the only con against the above mentioned sony sub has been it's boom quality. Fortunately, you can add a little polyfill to the sub for a couple of dollars and a half hour of work to help fix that. It would be a heck of an great system once set well.
    I suggest you buy both or at least demo both and see if one really stands out. Don't gloss over some of the other companies out there like Ascend (thumbs up), HTD (haven't heard), Paradigm (really liked most of their line), PSB (the same), and Def Tech (little over price range).
    Check these out and don't try to digest too much audio info at one time unless you're really eager.[​IMG]
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...in-9-2002.html
    http://www.cheaphometheater.com/speakers.htm
    Edit: Since you're at CC ask around if they have any Infinity Interludes new or display. They are going for great prices and you could put together a system for the same price *open-box. You'd also have one year to upgrade to any other speakers in the store, here's my card, don't work on wed.'s, come see me when you'e... oh crap sorry zoned out [​IMG].
    Disclaimer: I am working there. Not that there's anything wrong w/ that.[​IMG]

7. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

You'd have to be in the room with every sub on your list to know for sure.

I saw the PB12 at best buy once, but I was living with an SVS, looking to go back to a box to make the wife happy.

The SVS has ruined me as far as subs go, I'll never be happy again. The JBL is likely better than the Sony, wich is likely tied with the infinity. I know there were amp issues with the Infinity / JBL lines, while Sony has a cleaner track record.

The JBL is better looking than either, and the setup you linked to above is a great deal, no matter what.

If you expand from 5.1 to 6/7.1, another set of JBL's would be cheap to add.

8. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

9. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Exactly.

Nobody has ears like yours, that's the dilemma.

Look, listen, feel, buy.

Have fun!

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Yes that is the bottom line...
    Your ears, your money. Go listen to everything your interested in. Take some DVD's and CD's your very familar with and listen carefully... Remember the sound will change at home, maybe better maybe worse. Room acoustics play a big part in a systems over all response.
    Be sure to be able to return if your truly un-happy with your purchase if at all possible!
    In the end it's all about YOU and what sound best to YOUR ears... [​IMG]
    Good luck and try to enjoy your time shopping....
    Geoff

11. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I've sold and installed several HTS10/HTS20 systems and I've always been very happy with their performance - no complaints from the customers either [​IMG]
    I always thought they were under-appreciated in the marketplace. I can't recall reading any magazine reviews except the old e-town which gave them an excellent review (sold a couple of systems just off the power of that review).

12. Tony Mc

Tony Mc Stunt Coordinator

I've had the Infinity HTS-20 for over 6 months and I'm very pleased with the performance for DVD and CD listening.
    A very under appreciated and talked about speaker set-up.

13. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I almost went with this setup. Instead I got the polk rt25i ($99 each) for the fronts and surrounds and the polk cs 245i for the center for $199. I then later got twin SVS CS+ subs. The polks are much better in my opinion.