Should I get Studio 40's or 60's?? Differences

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bolivar G, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Pretty much made up my mind now on getting paradigm studio's. Wondering what the differences between 40 and 60's are if they going to be used as smalls with a VTF3 sub. With 60's i dont need to buy stands.
    Do these speakers sound the same when used as small's with a sub?? My main concern is for HT use, not much very music.
    Also found a deal for 60's for 900+ shipping. Should I take it?

2. Bob Cal

Bob Cal Stunt Coordinator

I just went through the same process. I live 200 miles from the dealer so I could not audition the speakers at home, so I spend a couple of hours listening in the showroom with music I knew quite well. Both the 40's and 60's are great speakers and I am sure you would be happy with both.
    I initially had the 40's on order but changed my mind and ended up with the 60's. It was just a matter of preference. The dealer said he sells 4to5 pairs of 40's to every 60's.

To me the 60's have a fuller sound, as opposed to a more in your face of the 40's. I do not have a sub, and I will not be getting one for a year, so this helped in my decision as well.

One word of caution the 60's are very heavy , more so than I thought. My family room is not ideally setup for listening to music and I would have liked to move one of my speakers a foot or so when listening to music. That is a chore with the 60's.

Good luck with it.

3. KeithBR

KeithBR Agent

I would go with the 40's and use the money you will save for something else. They are almost *identical* in everyway.

4. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

The 40's sound great, and I actually heard them with a VTF-3, that will sound EXCELLENT, I don't think you really require the 60's. I finally got a around to listening to some DVD-A on my 40's (4 40's and a CC) no bass management and well you don't need it with these speakers, they go low enough and sound great.

5. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

I have the 40's and was pretty happy with them but really didn't fall in love with them until I got a seperate power amp. The added amp made these speakers SING! I love them and have absolutely no urge to upgrade. I did think about upgrading before I got the amp. Bass response really came alive. I listen to music with the speakers set to large setting and sub off and couldn't believe the bass I was getting from these speakers.

Hope this helps. Either way I don't think you can go wrong. I got my pair used from Stereo Trading Outlet on the internet. I paid $649 I believe. Got the J-50 stands that look really nice off ebay for a litte more than $100.

6. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Thanks for your replies everyone.
    Dam your making my decision really hard [​IMG]

7. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

Bolivar,
    I have the Studio 60v2. From all the research that I've done here and at www.audioreview.com and on other websites, there is little difference between the two. The main consideration is the difference in money (if any) once you buy stands for the 40's.
    The dealer that I bought my 60's and CC from also said that they sell 4 pairs of 40's for every 60. His take on it from his discussions with the purchasers is that it looks more "audiophilish" to have stands. In my opinion, I agree, but I was able to get a better deal on a pair of demo 60's.

8. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

Get the 40s and the PW-2200 or Servo-15 sub and you will be set.

I had the 60s at one point but returned them for the 40s and could not be happier.

9. James Bergeron

I put my 40's on shelves that I built, cost me almost nothing, maybe $10 a shelf. So I guess I saved big time! hehe

10. Thang_N.

Thang_N. Stunt Coordinator

I was debating this myself, the 40's with stands that I'm scared might be knocked over, or the 60's.

Bolivar can you tell me where you are getting the 60's for 900? I went to my local dealer and he said he'd sell the 40's for 900. And is it new with Warranty?
    Does Paradigm have a 3 or 5 year warranty on these?
    Sorry for all the questions, but If anyone could answer these I'd appreciate it.

Thang

11. James Bergeron

Thang, Canada? I can get the Studio 40's for around $850 CDN so that's what $600 USD?

12. Darren_Falco

Darren_Falco Auditioning

Gruson-you have a PM

Darren

13. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

i chose the 60's over the 40's, as i think they look much better! they sound practicly the same!
    and i dont like speaker stands!...[​IMG] the 40's mounted on stands look redicolus (imho gents), while the 60's are tall and elegant!
    i plan to add 100's as fronts and move the 60's to the sides.
    my wife plans to send me to a shrink, but that's her problem![​IMG]

14. Cary P

Cary P Stunt Coordinator

I've listened to both speakers extensively and prefer the 40's. My girlfriend has a pair of Studio 60 v.2's because she didn't want speakers on stands, and I listen to them regularly for movies and music in her surround setup.

The 60's are great speakers, but not quite as clean and tight as the 40's in the lower midrange and bass regions, IMO. I owned a pair of Studio 40 v.2's for nearly a year (upgraded to Active 40's), and the 60's seem a tad tubby and warm in comparison to my memory of the 40's.

It's really a matter of preference, though. I've always preferred the look of stand mounted speakers, and that's what led me to initially choose the 40's.

Cary

15. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg

16. Anny Chien

Anny Chien Agent

I would say the 40 and 60 is a toss up. But if I were to spend the money, I would get the 60s. After you get the stands for the 40s it's almost the same price as the 60. Get the 60s

17. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit