Should I get stands for floorstanding speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tan_U, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair of Klipsch SF1 floor standing speakers and a Panasonic 47" widescreen HDTV. The Klipsch are about 1/3 shorter than the T.V. and they are placed right beside the T.V. I'm thinking about buying some stands to make the speakers the same height as the T.V. This is pretty much for looks but I'm not sure if it's gonna look good or odd having floorstanding speakers on stands? What would you guys do?

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Tan;

Their floorstanders for a reason. Leave them on the ground.

I should also mention that the speakers will probably sound best if the tweeters are roughly at the same height as your head when you're sitting down. I'm not familiar with your Klipsch speakers, but I'm assuming that the tweeter are at that height now. Raising them up *could* lessen the quality of the sound a bit.

Then again, it is your system, and if you want to lift them off the floor, no one here is going to stop you! Enjoy!

3. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

You might want to try to make a mock up first and see how they sound, if you like it then go for it but I would try to have the tweeters at ear level.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    The tweeters should be at ear level when seated at the listening possition.

5. Mark Gerald

Mark Gerald Auditioning

Jeff,

I agree that the height of the tweeters should be as close as possible to your ears while in your normal listening position. One quesion has come up for me, however, and that is with my system, the center channel is on top of my RPTV, which makes the center channel tweeter a good 25 inches above the front tweeters and about 19 inches above my ears when sitting. Is it preferable to have all three front tweeters in the same horizontal plane or compromise by having just the fronts close to my ears and pointing the center channel down, slightly? Thanks in advance for your input!

6. Dave Crigna

Dave Crigna Stunt Coordinator

I say play with it and do a mock setup like juan said. Having owned klipsch before, I do not feel they have to be at ear level. You are not dealing with a conventional dome tweeter. You are dealing with a horn design. Placing them off axis might help smooth the sound out with out much loss in output. Its all about playing with them and seeing what you can live with.[​IMG]

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Mark,

unfortunately, due to that big thing in the room we call a display or TV, it is near impossible to place all the front speakers where they should be placed(equal distances from the listening position and at ear level). So, most of us have to do everything possible to get the closest sound to this as we can. Usually the best way is to angle the center channel down toward the listening position. Or, if you use a similar bookshelf design, flip the speaker upside down so the smoothest response will flow in a downward axis instead of an upward axis(an upward axis is ideal for normal ear level hight).

If you have an MTM, try to angle the speaker downward to the lisening possition as best you can, set the delay electronically with your receiver if it is on the same plain as the L+R speakers. 1ft=1ms.

8. Mark Gerald

Mark Gerald Auditioning

Thanks, guys! I'll try out your recommendations!

9. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Jeff,

Puttting the floorstanders on stands not only puts your tweets out of the plane of your ears, it negates your boundary gain/floor gain and will most likely suck out the mid bass. I've tried it, and it was not the optimal positioning.

Russ

10. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    If you are gonna elevate your speakers, at least put them on something solid and try that out. Experimenting with placement is the only way you will ever get the best sound out of them.

11. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I tend to agree that elevating Floorstanders on stands is

not an ideal situation.

What you can do instead (if your floor standers have adjustable

spikes) is use a laser attatched to the speakers and shoot

a beam to the sweet spot where you will be sitting. With a

laser you can aim the direct plane of the tweeter and then

adjust the plane by toeing the speakers up in the front by

lowering the spikes. This is what I did with my AR9's and

they work well.