Should i get set calibrated immediately?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_PxR, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Jeff_PxR

Jeff_PxR Stunt Coordinator

I am buying either a Mitsubishi WS65311 or a Hitachi 65SWX20B today. After all I hear about red push, and the need for calibration--when is the earliest I should get a tech to come out and calibrate it? Should I let it wear in some first, or just get it done?

I am afraid after reading these posts about red push I will have this red monster with high contrast staring at me when it comes out of the box...

2. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

No, not right away.

I'd do some basic calibration yourself. If you have Avia or Video Essentials, go through those tests first. As for contrast, yes, it will most likely be set waaay too high out of the box. Even if you don't have a calibration DVD, back the picture (contrast) setting off to about 50% and maybe bring the brightness control up a bit to compensate.

People generally recommend 100 hours of use before having your new television professionally calibrated.

3. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

what is a typical cost for calibration and do directview HDTV's need calibration as much as RPTV's?

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I would also recommend 100 hours break in before calibration. We have a couple of moderators right here on the HTF that are excellent ISF calibrationalists. Try to get in contact with either Gregg Loewen or Michael TLV.

5. Jeff_PxR

Jeff_PxR Stunt Coordinator

Thanks!![​IMG]