What's new

Should I get second DVR? (1 Viewer)

chelentano

Agent
I have Motorola HD 2-tuner DVR which is I believe unit 6412, with Comcast service. I am thinking to get another DVR, which would be either:
Pioneer DVD-R/W with hard drive or
second Motorola DVR box

I assume if I add second DVR I will have 3-4 tuners, so I will be able to record 3-4 programs simultaneously? And I will have much more space for recording. Or, if it will be Pioneer I will be able to backup movies to DVD. Is it going to work? How would I connect second DVR? I have Pioneer 5045 plasma TV.

Thanks!

Ronn.W

Second Unit
I've got 2 DVR's, one a Cox cable DVR and the other is a TiVo connected to just basic cable. They work fine together. I just split the signal at the wall, and ran a cable to each one. Works fine.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
Right, it can't. But, with the Cox cable DVR having 2 tuners, I've never run into that as a problem. I use the Tivo for recording all the regular cable programs, with the Cox DVR supplementing that to record anything with schedule conflicts, etc. and of course doing anything on premium cable. If the Cox DVR had only 1 tuner, I think I might be screwed, but I've yet to have a situation where I can't watch whatever I want, while recording 2 other things.

I guess it depends on how many premium cable programs you have and how much you watch premium vs. basic. One thing to keep in mind though is that premium cable channels usually repeat things on the same night, so if you can't record the 9pm showing because of a conflict, you can probably grab the 1am showing, you know what I mean?

chelentano

Agent
I know what you mean. I do it all the time, specially, when I turn TV on and the movie is running already for while, so I would just set up recording for another time.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Would you really need to record 4 shows at once? I guess maybe if you have a large family and they all want to watch different programming...?

Me, I have trouble keeping up with the few shows I record on my DVR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks