Should I get rid of my TIVO?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by David Preston, Jan 20, 2004.

1. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I was wondering would it be a good deal to get rid of my Satelite system with TIVO and get Comcast. With Comcast I think I can get the ON Demand TV which I guess is like TIVO and HD and I could also get high speed internet access. Right now I believe the only HD TIVO for Satelite is $999. How would this Comcast combo stack up. Ohh yeah then the Sat company wants like 599$ for the DSL sat plus 59 per month. What do you guys think I should do. Thanks in advance.

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

The OnDemand stuff I don't think includes HD yet, and selection is limited to what is available in their library. I don't think it's anywhere close to as useful as a DVR is yet.

It's the Comcast DVR, not OnDemand, that you should be comparing to HD DirecTivo. It's slowly rolling out this year all over the country. Are they using the SA box or the Motorola box in your area?

My advice is to wait and see. The cable DVR will have huge advantage in no upfront cost, but the software won't compare to the Tivo you are used to. Might be worth it if the software is "good enough" though. Also if you are in a Motorola area the first boxes will be pretty lame, single tuner, 80GB reportedly. The SA boxes are at least dual tuner. Motorola's dual tuner isn't due till the 2nd half of the year.

For high speed internet you can still go with cable even if you stuck with satellite for TV, although you might pay maybe $10-15/month more. There should also be other DSL options to look into, other than through the sat company (like through your phone company?). I wouldn't let internet access dictate which TV service to get, unless massive discounts were offered.