Should I get one rear center or two more surrounds?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GregZ, Dec 6, 2002.

1. GregZ

GregZ Agent

Hey guys,
    I have a 7.1 Dennon and I currently have a 5.1 set-up. I want to make use of the two extra channels in the back but don't know if I should get one center or two surrounds. Also, the two rears I have now are direct radiators, should I add two bi-poles?
    Thanks,
    Greg

2. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

What kind of speakers do you have? Maybe just another pair of what you have. I'm a direct radiator fan.[​IMG]

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

The way that I've seen it done is this:

Move the current direct radiators to the rear, get a pair of dipoles for the sides. That's just the "proper" way I think is recommended, but you can certainly do whatever you want.

4 of the same direct radiator would make for really nice pans across the back. Personally that's what I plan to do if I ever do more than 5.1.

4. Rory

Rory Extra

Unless you have a very large listening area, 7.1 is overkill (imho). Go with a 6.1 set-up.

5. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I agree with Rory to get good 7.1 effect you some room. Another consideration is if you intend on moving into DVD Audio or SACD. I believe in these cases you would want direct radiators. Having said that know that I have neither in my system so I am not 100% sure. [​IMG]