What's new

Should I get new speakers? (1 Viewer)

AnandS

Agent
Hi All,
I have a Onkyo HTIB some time back. It still is working.

The receiver is the Onkyo HT-R510... It's a 6.1 system with the following specs:

6-channel amplifier
100 watts per channel min. RMS at 8Ω, 2 channels driven
from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with no more than 0.08% total harmonic
distortion

The Center Channel is the Onkyo SKC-200C.

I am moving into a new home and am looking to see if I need to upgrade my speakers (budget to mid price range). I am going to upgrade my Receiver purely cause of HDMI connections.

I have read that the center channel speaker is the most important followed by the L/R Fronts and Sub. I am not sure how mine compares to what is out there now (in the budget to mid range price wise). I was looking at the Polk Audio C2 for center channel...but not sure if I should save the money instead for something else.

P.S.: I am going to measure the new living room and run cables and stuff soon.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Those speakers weren't that bad for what they are. But they don't use a real crossover network, just a bass-blocker on the tweeter, so a new set of speakers would offer quite an improvement in sound quality.

The Polk Monitor series is one of the most popular budget speakers around.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008225%2050012345&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&SrchInDesc=monitor&Page=1&PageSize=20

Another are the Pioneer speakers designed by Andrew Jones. They can also be found on Amazon and at BestBuy. They are a little less efficient and require more power to really sound good.

The models with a "2" suffix are from this year, the "1" models are from last year. This years models are supposed to have different drivers with improved sound.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers

If you have a Fry's near you they often have the Infinity Primus series on sale (except for the center speakers??) and they are also a very good budget setup as is the Venturi's by BIC,

Avoid the Polk and Pioneer subwoofers. Get a Dayton from Partsexpress.com (10" or larger) or an F-12/V-1220 from BIC.

AnandS

Agent
Thanx!

So I am going to research the Polks more..especially the Polk Audio New Monitor 45B for the fronts. But how are the Polk Audio TSi100???

Not sure on the center channel...15C or 25C or CS2...any recs??

No idea on rear speakers yet....perhaps keep my Onkyo for rear and save some money?

I like the Dayton sub and thanx for introducing me to Parts Express!

Pioneer is still in play...but Polks look good.

AnandS

Agent
Oh..I am also interested in getting the "enveloping" sound from my final 5.1 system.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
For center...

Buy as big as you have room for. But "stop" at a certain point...I wouldn't buy a bigger center than my main channel.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thinkif you have spare money then try also upgrading the AV Receiver part of the system, if not then buy some speakers and upgrade that at a later date, don't spend a fortune on cables, decent quality ones are inexpensive these days.

A good front left and right, center and subwoofer, you can get away with the surrounds being not as good although i'd try and get them all to match tonally by going for the same brand, i own an SVS subwoofer, the old type before they started making them smaller, i guess it all depends on how much room you have and your budget but you don't have to buy everything at once, upgrade the center first, then the front's and then the surrounds and then the receiver and subwoofer.

AnandS

Agent
Thanx for all the advice..I am taking it in. :)

I went to Best Buy and heard the Definitive speakers and couple of others...higher premium ones...Out of 4 speakers I heard....I fell in love with Bowers & WIlkins one..the 600 series bookshelf (link)

If you had the money ($440 in store price)...would you spend that on these for L/R Fronts? They have nice Center channel too...but that is $600+!!!!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I really like the B&W - and yes, I would spend the money on them. A few years ago I listened to B&W and, although I loved the sound, I ended up going with Axiom. I spent the money once and have been happy since. I have no plans to purchase new speakers in the next 20 years. :)

But you have to decide what you can afford and go from there.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
AnandS said:
Thanx for all the advice..I am taking it in. :)

I went to Best Buy and heard the Definitive speakers and couple of others...higher premium ones...Out of 4 speakers I heard....I fell in love with Bowers & WIlkins one..the 600 series bookshelf (link)

If you had the money ($440 in store price)...would you spend that on these for L/R Fronts? They have nice Center channel too...but that is $600+!!!!
Nobody said you can't search Ebay for somebody selling a B&W center...Unless you need the financing...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks