What's new

Should I get HDTV for what I use it for? (1 Viewer)

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I'm not going to be using HDMI on the DVD player anyway...I've already bought the HDMI cable (after checking three places...you wouldn't think a $120 cable would be that hard to get!) and I'm using it on my newly procured SciAtl Explorer 8300 HD. The DVD player is just getting component.
I watched a few minutes of Return of the King extended without doing any calibrations (just cutting the picture and brightness to 40%) and to these untrained eyes it was incredible. Just incredible. I'm still in the process of hooking everything up because I had to assemble an audio rack and I'm a serious clutz at that stuff.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Marvin,

I'm going to be getting digital cable next week. I presume they are going to want to use the HDMI connection. Not sure what I can do.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Mits doesn't convert to 540P. Toshiba and Hitachi do.

Glad your enjoying your set Dave. I got the exact opposite impression of the Sony(unless they improved them over the past year) when I compared them back to back in a showroom calibrated. I'm also glad you are enjoying the Toshiba player. I returned 3 of them total(not that model) and swore them off after getting a letter in the mail about a consumer lawsuit against them.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I doubt very highly that the cable company will require you to use the HDMI connection. Matter of fact, you'll more than likely find the box only has component outs. Often people have to special request a new box if they want to use DVI input, never mind HDMI. You will be lucky if the cable tech even knows what HDMI is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks