Should I get extended warranty on a new CRT RPTV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Justin_W, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Justin_W

Justin_W Auditioning

Hoping to buy a Hitachi 51F510 within the next week or so (from Circuit City, the only seller in my area of Hitachi) and was wondering if it is still even worth it to buy an extended warranty plan on a CRT RPTV. I normally would never buy one, but I do realize that this is a large purchase. However, paying $350-400 seems pretty steep for this. What is a typical failure rate for these types of sets within a few years anyways? Considering that I am buying a Hitachi (which I heard has a great reputation for reliability) and the fact this it is a CRT RPTV, should I even bother?

2. John S

John S Producer

I really hate how they make you fight for the service and warranty you paid for. But in this modern world of QC, any make and model can be prone to having issues, so it makes sense. Even though most times it is a series of frustrations to get problems resolved, most that have them eventually do get them resolved.

I did not get one on mine, I work in the insurance industry and these extended warranty providers are considered the lowest form of scum by the insurance industry on a whole.

Best of luck......

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

With the investment you're making it worth at least the peace of mind that if something goes wrong you don't have to 1. depend on the manufacturers warranty (1 Year) and 2. beg for assistance in regards to the store doing something. With the extended warranty there are no arguments and if something wrong that's not fixed to your satisfaction, it can be replaced.

4. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

If anything, consider the cost of parts and labour down the road. Besides, the manufacturer's warranty usually covers only one thing: their own defects.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

It's really a crapshoot to be honest.

Some warranties allow you to get back 1/2 of what you spent if you don't put it in for repair even once. To me that makes it worth a purchase.

This time however I couldn't afford to get the warranty(other expenditures) so I passed. If I could have afforded it, I would have bought one.

6. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Usually you can buy the extended warranty later, either through the store or from the manufacture. This was the case for me. I ended up buying an extended warranty for my previous Panny. I also sent in the registration card for the tv. As I remembered correctly, I received many reminders in the mail that my warranty was about to run out.

The extended warranty paid off for me at the end. After countless repairs, the warranty department replaced my tv for a new one. This was after 18 months of ownership.

Usually if nothing goes wrong within the first 90 days, you are pretty much safe, but you can't never tell with electronics these days.

Circuit City has a good policy with extended warranties. Usually, you can talk them into at lowing the final cost of the TV because the rep gets a cut on the extended warranty.

I bought my Denon 2200 (DVD player) at Good Guys. I was not going to pay the retail price, after talking to the rep, he made me an offer. He cut the price enough where I bought the extended warranty for $100 more for 5 years.

7. Justin_W

Justin_W Auditioning

Well, it sounds like everyone here is for getting an extended warranty on a rear projection CRT. It is kind of a bummer considering that it is about $370. HOWEVER, circuit city's website is offering 10% off tv's in that range, so that is somewhat attractive. The next question is does their warranty begin following the completion of the manufacturer's warranty?

8. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Usually the extended warranty begins after the manufacturer's warranty ends.

You should ask.

9. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

It depends on the store. Some store warranties give you a lot of features that manufacturers don't, so they say '4 years' but that is from the date of purchase. Others will offer you say, a 2 year extended warranty that starts from the end of the manufacturers one year.

10. Brandon Steck

Brandon Steck Stunt Coordinator

I work at Best Buy, I know ours works in conjunction with the manufacturer's warranty because, like Mike said, it covers a lot that the manufacturer doesn't, such as power surge or any normal wear and tear issues. I've heard a few complaints about the service plan, but overall the feedback I get is very positive. BB has their no lemon exchange, which means if your tv is serviced 3 times, if you need a fourth they just replace the set. CC is a little more expensive, but theirs is 5 years, ours is 4. Our projo service is 250 bucks, on the DLP's and LCD's it's 399 because it covers the lamp.

11. MarkJH

MarkJH Extra

As pointed out, you can buy it later. We got one when we purchased our Panny, but near the end of the factory warranty Panasonic offered us one. If we had not already paid for one, we would have taken it, it was cheaper.

Something that big, expensive and complicated, almost makes sense. Although our set is now 3 years old and we have had no issues, it still makes you feel more secure.

Another way to do it- if you have an American Express card buy the set with that. They automatically double the factory warranty, up to one year. We bought our HDTV receiver that way, so it had a 2 year warranty.

Mark