Should I get an MX-500 Remote?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean D, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Sean D

Sean D Stunt Coordinator

Hi Folks,

I currently am using the remote that comes with my Marantz SR-7000 . I believe it is an rc1200. Anyhow, I will be selling it with my SR-7000 when the Outlaw 950 comes out and kind of would like a decent remote. Do you think I should hold off and wait to see what the remote for the 950 will be like or should I just take the plunge and get the MX-500? I've read alot of good stuff about it and think that I would like the feel of buttons as opposed to touch screen.

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Sean: IMO, I advise you to wait. Nearly all on-line dealers of the MX-500 can get it to you in a couple of days or so (although it could run a tad longer for Canadian delivery.) Outlaw intends for the 950's remote to be a universal model. But until there are some out there, no one knows just how good (or bad) it may be. (Are the 950 photos (remote and all) out yet??? I haven't checked for a while.)

I went from a Marantz RC-2000 MkII to an MX-500 and I have been pleased. They both have their strong points but I think that the MX-500 is just a bit further down the remote evolutionary path. (Easier to hold, much stronger IR output, 5 digit LCD labeling, etc.)

I can't imagine that you wouldn't be happy with an MX-500. But if the Outlaw remote ends up being a good one, you can spend the money you save on DVDs...

3. Sean D

Sean D Stunt Coordinator

True enough Chuck, thanks for the input. I Guess I'll hold off and see how the Outlaw remote is.

4. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

I too went from a Marantz RC2000 to a MX500 and couldnt be happier. I seriously doubt that the Outlaw remote will be in the class of the MX500. It may very well be programmable though. If it were me.. Id buy the MX regardless

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hmmm, how can I say this...? Wait to see the Outlaw included remote; then, if you aren't satisfied with it, go and get the MX-500. By then, maybe the seeminly incredible MX-700 remotes will be available at a decent price from etailers. If that price comes down to around $229 or so, it could be the remotes, yes remotes, to get.

6. Sean D

Sean D Stunt Coordinator

Brian and John,
    Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit of an impulse shopper, so Brians words kind of made me think about getting out my credit card.[​IMG] John's words as well as Chuck's are keeping me in line though, good advice guys . Thanks. I'm going to try and hold out.[​IMG]

7. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

I just bought one and I'm waiting for it to arrive .. it's only US$120 or so plus around $15 for a Cinema7 from Walmart to be able to teach it any discreet codes you might need.

-David